Why are some somali hooyos downright mean to their own daughters ?

That's bullshit Somali Hooyos love their daughters.

I feel sorry for you if you have experienced such injustices, but don't project your trauma into other people.
Saxib, she used the word ‘some’. Basic English. If she said ‘all’, then your reply would be justified.

Garaad diinle

 
It's not a somali issue it's a human issue. I'm sure there are plenty of people from other ethnicities that can relate to this. Somalia has been through a lot and one warrior stood tall and strong, our parents.

Last edited:
Abaayo, people have different reasons that make them treat their children poorly. Chalk it up to your family not being well mentally/spiritually etc. That might help you to to let go of any resentment or hurt from their treatment.

Forgive them for Allah’s sake. It will help you to heal your heart, mind and body. I promise you that.

Listen to some Quran attentively when thoughts of the past come to your mind or say dhikr (words of remembrance of Allah).

The physical pain in shaa Allah will heal. You have the ability to make dua to Allah for health in all its forms. When you feel the pain, remember Allah and say supplications for when you feel pain in your body.

Having sabr at the time of afflictions is greatly rewarded and brings great relief to those suffering. This time of pain won’t last. Even if it seems hopeless now or that nothing will ever improve.

Making dua for your parents is highly beneficial as well. They have hurt you but to make dua for their guidance and betterment will also benefit you greatly.

AbdiFreedom

Humiliator in Chief
Staff Member
Sorry to hear that. Don't you live in Europe? Go to a women's shelter if you don't have anyone to live with. They should set you up with a social worker. Tell them you are fleeing domestic violence, which is taken very seriously. They should give you income and housing for the short term.

I also suggest you completely cut them off before it gets worse.

CALMONE20###

Roots in Somaliland + Somali Region ✝️
Sorry to hear that. Don't you live in Europe? Go to a women's shelter if you don't have anyone to live with. They should set you up with a social worker. Tell them you are fleeing domestic violence, which is taken very seriously. They should give you income and housing for the short term.

I also suggest you completely cut them off before it gets worse.
I live in the UK yes. I will definitely get in touch with domestic abuse shelters.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Pardon me, but I don't think what you describe about your own home life is the norm in Somali or frankly any culture. The things you describe sound very extreme and border on mentally ill on the part of your fam. That level of abuse is not normal. Yes, some eedos can make weird underhanded comments and be either dismissive or rude toward their daughters but full on, sudden ass-beatings for no apparent reason where they can even draw blood from the girl is some mentally ill stuff in any culture.

CALMONE20###

Roots in Somaliland + Somali Region ✝️
Pardon me, but I don't think what you describe about your own home life is the norm in Somali or frankly any culture. The things you describe sound very extreme and border on mentally ill on the part of your fam. That level of abuse is not normal. Yes, some eedos can make weird underhanded comments and be either dismissive or rude toward their daughters but full on, sudden ass-beatings for no apparent reason where they can even draw blood from the girl is some mentally ill stuff in any culture.
That's why I put some in the title

AbdiFreedom

Humiliator in Chief
Staff Member
@CALMONE20###

@Shimbiris is correct to say your family is mentally ill. Your ayeyo is probably the cause of your family's mental health problems. This could end up with you being severely ill or dead. Don't wait for them to change. They won't.

Internet Nomad

𝑮𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒓 𝒑𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒔
VIP
Imo in a stable family a mother should be more stricter to her daughter and less with her son. However the father should be less strict with the daughter and more so with the son.
Son

• The father needs to show the son discipline.
  • The mother should show the son how a good women treats him and how to respect women.
For the daughter

• The father should show how a man should treat her.
  • For the Mother should show how to have modesty and other good values.

It’s not something people here might want to hear but I suspect that with the way the west is set up and with older Somali women not really being educated and the das not being around as much as he needs to be, as well as living below your means (section 8 housing) most Somali moms are just winging it, especially with the ptsd and general suffering a lot aren’t coming to terms with, all I can say is if you have kids, making sure you don't pass on generational trauma is imperative

It’s not something people here might want to hear but I suspect that with the way the west is set up and with older Somali women not really being educated and the das not being around as much as he needs to be, as well as living below your means (section 8 housing) most Somali moms are just winging it, especially with the ptsd and general suffering a lot aren’t coming to terms with, all I can say is if you have kids, making sure you don't pass on generational trauma is imperative
I agree. Some of them deal with really difficult situations and keep going without addressing to themselves what’s really bothering them. As if they’re on auto-pilot. Them being in denial of their ptsd and mental state keeps perpetuating things. We definitely need to break the cycle.

Trending