UAE markets express appetite for meat from Jigjiga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bohol

VIP
Ethiopia: UAE markets express appetite for meat from modern abattoir
Published On: Thu, Jan 5th, 2017

Slaughterhouse.jpg

A modern slaughterhouse built in Jigjiga town, Ethiopian Somali regional state, has begun exporting meat to the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The abattoir is exporting of quality lamb and goat meat through Addis Ababa Bole International Airport.

Mohammed Mohamud, the General Manager of the abattoir, said one week export had generated $67,000 income for the government.

Upon going fully operational, the abattoir will have the capacity to slaughter 200 cattle and camels as well as 3, 000 sheep and goat, he said. The slaughterhouse has currently hired 70 workers but it will create employment opportunities for up to 200 people once it goes fully operational, Mohammed stated. Jigjiga modern slaughterhouse was built on 35 hectares of land at a cost of $9 million.

http://www.somalilandinformer.com/a...press-appetite-for-meat-from-modern-abattoir/

We must do everything we can possibly do to avoid the taxes reaching Addis Ababa and going into developing the Tigray region and the military

maestro

Cultural revolution
$67,000 a week is a lot. The dudes must be earning a fuckton of money. who owns this by the way? Somalis or Arab?

I want to invest in Jigjiga and other cities in the region but hate that we aren't a sovereign country that has full control of the state revenue and assets but at the same time I welcome peace and prosperity. If the relationship is mutually beneficial wlhi I'm down with this. We pay them tax they build us infrastructure and give us access to the AID they receive. They also support our regional military with weapons and training. Everyone wins.

Incase the relationship goes sour again we atleast have the infrastructure weapons and the economy base to secede more easily and successfully without immediately going to shit.

If the extreme economic sanctions against Somalis have stopped I think I may warm up to Ethiopia. After all that was the only thing that made us hate them in the first place :cosbyhmm:

Highland, fertile and resource rich Ethiopia is perfect for entrepreneurs who want to get rich off it and I know Somalis with their networking could take full advantage of the country and dominate the economy like they did in Kenya. :rejoice:

Last edited:

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
$67 000 a week, that's $3.5 million a year from this business alone. Either the government is extorting this business or they're making a killing. :faysalwtf:

@NewYork the local government is still handing out land in Jigjiga to the Somali diaspora, take advantage of it. You may not want to invest in it now, but you could get rich of the the time value of that land alone by selling it in maybe 10 years when it's worth 10x the initial price.

maestro

Cultural revolution
$67 000 a week, that's $3.5 million a year from this business alone. Either the government is extorting this business or they're making a killing. :faysalwtf:

@NewYork the local government is still handing out land in Jigjiga to the Somali diaspora, take advantage of it. You may not want to invest in it now, but you could get rich of the the time value of that land alone by selling it in maybe 10 years when it's worth 10x the initial price.

Wallahi bro I'm already making calls. Along with Jigjiga I'm Keeping my eyes on the Shabelle river. It's completely under utilized and the potential is mind blowing.

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
Wallahi bro I'm already making calls. Along with Jigjiga I'm Keeping my eyes on the Shabelle river. It's completely under utilized and the potential is mind blowing.

The riverine areas have the potential to yield the biggest ROI now that the local gov is actively taking part in building dams, irrigation systems for even the smallest of farms and encouraging the people to cultivate their land. The southern and eastern parts of DDSI are so neglected and it is sad because the eastern parts are oil rich and the southern parts are the breadbasket of the region. Get on it sxb.

AceofSom

nx]\\0-9
The riverine areas have the potential to yield the biggest ROI now that the local gov is actively taking part in building dams, irrigation systems for even the smallest of farms and encouraging the people to cultivate their land. The southern and eastern parts of DDSI are so neglected and it is sad because the eastern parts are oil rich and the southern parts are the breadbasket of the region. Get on it sxb.

The federal is handing land out to tigrayans. One of them I know got a nice farming land around jigjiga. The Somalis should all apply so others don't get that land.

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
The federal is handing land out to tigrayans. One of them I know got a nice farming land around jigjiga. The Somalis should all apply so others don't get that land.

They're handing out land to anyone who's willing to invest, but I think they should make the offer exclusive to only Somalis.

They're handing out land to anyone who's willing to invest, but I think they should make the offer exclusive to only Somalis.

Bad news I read while ago, Ethiopia is aiming to export livestock to Arab countries (our regular customers ) they are in business of livestock. This news came out after the ban on our livestock immediately. The inflected animals left from Mogadishu port, which made suspects dirty game.

Young Popeye

Call me pops
We must do everything we can possibly do to avoid the taxes reaching Addis Ababa and going into developing the Tigray region and the military

In other words you condone criminal mafia activity. What you proposed is actually happening on the ground. "The Liyu police slaughtered more than 40 villagers, including women and children, in Jama Dubad, a remote hamlet in the region, according to Somali news websites. The Liyu police were retaliating after a group of armed men attacked Customs police for confiscating a vehicle transporting khat (miraa) belonging to a local dealer, for failing to pay taxes." Its one thing to not pay tax but to get violent with the state, is terrorism. If you dont pay tax, they will put a halt on investment in the region but im sure mafia only cares about themselves.

People who buy potentially productive land and then do nothing but squat on it until prices rise are the worst. It's caused problems (such as housing shortages) in other Somali cities, such as Hargeisa. I hope DDSI levels a nasty land tax against people who do that. It's the behavior of an economic rat.

People who buy potentially productive land and then do nothing but squat on it until prices rise are the worst. It's caused problems (such as housing shortages) in other Somali cities, such as Hargeisa. I hope DDSI levels a nasty land tax against people who do that. It's the behavior of an economic rat.
In my opinion, if the land is not utilised productively for a certain time period from the date of purchase i.e 2 years then it should be confiscated and sold to a productive businessman.

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP

I agree, but if everybody's doing it, why relegate yourself to being the only one who's losing out. At least buy the land and keep it till you know what to do with it.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
What do they mean by "one week export had generated $67,000 income for the government."?

Is it state owned?

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
What do they mean by "one week export had generated $67,000 income for the government."?

Is it state owned?

That baffled me as well, but a further look into this abattoir revealed that the company is a Plc. The owners are definitely making a shit load of money from it:whew:

You can't even own land in Ethiopia. You can lease it for long a long period of time though. Plus you can't lease land and not produce on it, they would take it back within 1 year of idleness.

Dhay Geel

"Aar kow Dheh"
Ethiopia has a government with strong regulations as well as health and safety.
Somalis got no one to blame but themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts