Top Harvard researchers accused of scientific fraud

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
The President of Standford resigned last summer after a freshman student journalist exposed him for alleged fraud during his academic career lol. I'm not sympathetic to the scientists that say academia is broken. Typicaly these scientists want to have their cake and eat it too. Instead of heightening the consequences for discovered scientific fraud, the scientific community criticizes the system for enabling frauds due to the reward system which bestows top positions, big money grants and awards to researchers that produce positive results in contrast to null-hypothesis-cels lol.

attash

Amaan Duule
Scientific studies are a lot less reliable than people think. There is a crisis within the scientific community because a significant amount of studies across scientific fields have results that are not reproducible, and thus unscientific.

To fake cancer research, squandering resources that otherwise could have gone to making serious steps puts one in the scum category. Those vile actions should end with a prison sentence, not merely losing integrity and sabotaging one's career. Those eggheads need deterrents.

There are too many frauds. A Nature article claimed over 10,000 papers were rejected in 2023 because of fraud. That is ridiculous.

Daydreamer

teetering in-between realities
The President of Standford resigned last summer after a freshman student journalist exposed him for alleged fraud during his academic career lol. I'm not sympathetic to the scientists that say academia is broken. Typicaly these scientists want to have their cake and eat it too. Instead of heightening the consequences for discovered scientific fraud, the scientific community criticizes the system for enabling frauds due to the reward system which bestows top positions, big money grants and awards to researchers that produce positive results in contrast to null-hypothesis-cels lol.
Maybe im stupid but are you saying that they dont want consequences for their faulty research and so instead of getting penalized, they just dont get any rewards, allowing them to continue their fraud without worry? I dont know much about academia but does not getting reprimanded encourage academic fraud to this point. Or maybe just removing people from high positions doesn't fix the root cause?

Maybe im stupid but are you saying that they dont want consequences for their faulty research and so instead of getting penalized, they just dont get any rewards, allowing them to continue their fraud without worry? I dont know much about academia but does not getting reprimanded encourage academic fraud to this point. Or maybe just removing people from high positions doesn't fix the root cause?
They believe equally distributing the monies and jobs to all researchers whether they're working on cutting edge research, simply replicating/confirming discoveries or producing duds. Basically arguing for a "process over results" style of management/operation. Apparently this will dissuade fraudsters from over embellishing their findings in hopes securing rewards.

Duke$

Living well is the best revenge Duke of guacamole
Science has slowed down so that’s why they faking everything they need the money and the Nobel prize needs to keep giving more awards away

Djokovic

Somali Arab
They want me to believe that climate change will be acopalyptic and will affect human life lol and they will cite scientific studies to prove there point

Science has slowed down so that’s why they faking everything they need the money and the Nobel prize needs to keep giving more awards away
Fake research will not reach the Nobel Prize since the eligibility for those prizes is very rigorous. The recent Nobel winners had people working on a project for over three decades.

The median age for the winners is 54.9 years. Usually, those people are already respected in their fields and acknowledged for their contributions. Those prizes are the consequence of life-long commitments that resulted in boundary-pushing research -- though the prizes are honorary -- they don't serve as primary incentives because the statistical chance of getting one is low. Many thousands of top scientists will never win a Nobel, and it does not matter.

The point is that these people who fake their studies want to reach short-term gains that might accumulate into an eventual stable position for an institution or private company. You can tell their qualities are of the lower kind by how they emphasize point scoring over tangible research outcomes.

I think the incentive structure in research today has become very gamified, where people eventually try to maximize them by any means. It contributes to a bad culture, ending with people in already good positions further faking their way to the next goal. A primary issue with research today is impatience.

For example, we have slow progress in one research area (e.g., ancient DNA in East Africa, when the cost of doing such research is many times cheaper than a decade ago). One observes extreme inequalities where other areas over-produce low-quality material. Maybe low-grade material is better than nothing. But still, I think scientists' egos need to be checked.

Trending