Somalis should be historically accurate

Discussion in 'History' started by Kaleel, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Kaleel

Kaleel Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,211
    A lot of the posts made here show people saying we had kingdoms, sultanates and we come from ancient egypt. There's a lot of nonsense in it. We were a nomadic society, most of our people lived in huts and raised livestock. They could not read or write except a tiny percentage in Arabic.

Only SMALL percentage were farmers. MANY other cultures nomadic steppe people they are very honest about their history and accurate because it is ancient history. It is OK that we were a primitive society and we can be proud because it is very unique. But because we have nothing to cling to and our current situation is garbage we tend to claim things that are not ours. I really hope Somalis stop this ancient egypt nonsense.

Tell me what you think.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Canuck

Canuck

Ratings:
    +6,911
    ancient greek historian Diodorus of Sicilus ,more than 200 thousands Ancient-Egyptians migrated in the south of the Nile river in the direction of the East Africa ,after the euro-asiatics infiltrations in Egypt at the beginning of the collapse of the Egyptian Civilization.

• Like Like x 3
  3. merka

merka ʏᴍᴏʜɢɪ

Ratings:
    +7,934
    This is what happens when you reject your arab aabe. :manny:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Canuck

Canuck

Ratings:
    +6,911
    IMG_5178.JPG Read this book The Periplus of the Erythraean Sea or Periplus of the Red Sea and you will learn about Somalis sophisticated life

• Like Like x 3
  5. Kaleel

Ratings:
    +1,211
    OK that may be the case I am speaking the nature of our people to claim things that are not proven. Our culture is so beautiful I do not understand the need to add unnecessary unproven things that largely are also mythological. I saw a post by @Grant a while back and it got me thinking much of what is being peddled nowadays is largely myth.

BUT our climate, environment, harsh nomadic lifestyle are special to us and we should be proud of these traditions of our ancestors not ancestors we may or may not have had.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Niin Ruun

Niin Ruun

Ratings:
    +16

Hi Kaleel!

Google Ajuran, google Geledi, Google Adal, google the land of punt and the frankincense.

you are out to lunch if you think somalia had a bunch people who could read or write. The only ones who could read in swahili and arabic where the merchants who traded with Zanzibar.

You are out to lunch pal

• Like Like x 4
  7. Bahal

Bahal ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ

Ratings:
    +11,892
    You don't know what you're talking about.

• Like Like x 5
  8. hodon

hodon

Ratings:
    +1,013
    I agree with the rest but the sultanates were real...nothing special, but real none the less

9. Kaleel

Ratings:
    +1,211
    I'm just trying to learn there's nothing wrong with that. Why don't you teach me?

10. Rooble

Rooble .......

Ratings:
    +5,263
    lmfaooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! yo this admin funny

• Like Like x 7
  11. Kaleel

Ratings:
    +1,211
    Sultanates makes a person think of grand palaces and huge towns but these were like very rudimentary societies where most people lived in little huts and the sultan who was the local chief had a few small stone builds.

12. Canuck

Canuck

Ratings:
    +6,911

I will teach you first start reading this book and google about history of ancient ports in Somalia.
    Mosylon (Ancient Greek: Μοσυλλόν), also known as Mosullon, was an ancient Somalitrading center on or near the site that later became the city of Bosaso.

Mosylon was the most prominent emporium on the Red Sea coast, as outlined in the Periplus of the Erythraean Sea. With its large ships, it handled the bulk of the cinnamontrade arriving from the ports of ancient India. Dioscorides consequently noted that the city became known as the source of the best variety of the spice in the ancient world.specific species of cinnamon exported from the harbour was known as Mosyllitic. Due to its high quality and rarity at the time in Ancient Rome, the imported cinnamon was typically deposited in the Romans' Royal Treasury.

According to classical writers such as Pliny, the inhabitants of Mosylon imported flint glassand glass vessels from Ancient Egypt, unripe grapes from Diospolis, unmilled cloths for the Berberi markets, including tunics and cloths manufactured at Arsinoe, as well as wine and tin. The main export items were gums, tortoise shells, incense and ivory.Pliny also indicated that, en route to the cinnamon hub of Mosylon, the Egyptian Pharaoh Sesostris led his forces passed the Port of Isis.The latter ancient local commercial center is believed to correspond with the town of Bulhar, situated near Zeila.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Kaleel

Ratings:
    +1,211
    Don't derail my thread @Rooble, it's OK I am funny but this is a serious conversation. I don't want to hand out warnings like it is Christmas, that's next month.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Canuck

Canuck

Ratings:
    +6,911
    Malao was an ancient Somali port city in present-day northwestern Somalia. The town was situated on the site of what later became the city of Berbera. It was a key trading member involved in the Red Sea-Indian Ocean commerce in the early centuries CE. The town also maintained an important monetary market for merchants exchanging goods in the currencies of the Roman Empire.[1]

Main article: Maritime history of Somalia
    The ancient port city of Malao was positioned in the historic Somali city of Berbera. It is mentioned in the 1st century CE Periplus of the Erythraean Sea:

"After Avalites there is another market-town, better than this, called Malao, distant a sail of about eight hundred stadia. The anchorage is an open roadstead, sheltered by a spit running out from the east. Here the natives are more peaceable. There are imported into this place the things already mentioned, and many tunics, cloaks from Arsinoe, dressed and dyed; drinking-cups, sheets of soft copper in small quantity, iron, and gold and silver coin, not much. There are exported from these places myrrh, a little frankincense, (that known as far-side), the harder cinnamon, duaca, Indian copal and macir, which are imported into Arabia; and slaves, but rarely."

— Chap.8.[2]

• Like Like x 3
  15. hodon

hodon

Ratings:
    +1,013
    no one ever claimed them to be huge. besides no one in the cities lived in huts, they lived in houses very similar to the ones in banadir today

Verification:
reCAPTCHA verification is loading. Please refresh the page if it does not load.
Draft saved Draft deleted