Somali singer Axmed Budul and Dhaanto artists from Galbeed performing in Hargeisa, Somaliland to promote unity among the Somali ppl 🇸🇴🙏🏿

Xeda

Formerly known as Ajansjana
I thought this was gonna be a nice thread
Ofc you isaaqs had to ruin it

1712361386729.png

can I ask you what is the difference between people in Tigray and Tigrinya speakers from Eritrea? I heard Meles and Afwerki were practically the same ethnicity yet they went to war with each other? and even more recently, Afwerki helped Abiye to destroy Tigrays, what's that about? Is this purely political conflict or is there something else?
They’re like Dutch people and Flemish people, similar languages but different ethnicities

seldiboy

Resident Eritrean | Ye's strongest soldier
interesting! Can they communicate comfortably aka is the language mutually intelligible?
Same language apart from some differences in dialect. The difference between the groups is more historical and that history shaped how both of those groups self conceptualise themselves as well as how they interact[ed] with other ethnic groups and polities

Same language apart from some differences in dialect. The difference between the groups is more historical and that history shaped how both of those groups self conceptualise themselves as well as how they interact[ed] with other ethnic groups and polities
One last question, do the two communities(not their political elites but your average joe) consider each other family? specially when in the west? I ask because we Somalis are like that, despite all our political issues, when we are in the west, we are one. I know this is different because Somali people are practically the same people and have been like that forever.

EritreanPost_

EritreanPost 🇪🇷🇩🇯🇸🇴🇸🇩🇪🇬 |Eritrean news blogger
One last question, do the two communities(not their political elites but your average joe) consider each other family? specially when in the west? I ask because we Somalis are like that, despite all our political issues, when we are in the west, we are one. I know this is different because Somali people are practically the same people and have been like that forever.
How do we consider each other as family, we are not one tribe? Or one nations.

the tigrayans have tried to subjugate and control Eritrea for hundreds of years.

that’s why in Eritrea- Tigray relations are impossible. And many Tigrayan claim Eritrean lands/territory including Badme, eastern sector and the redsea

we are not one ppl, we are Eritreans they are Ethiopians, we don’t consider as us one. When we meet, political differences cause tensions among us which is why we often avoid each other.

as the 1998 border conflict and 2020 war are very fresh. Only the new Eritrean refugees who were brainwashed by the Agazians are good with Tigrayans, but since a large share of the Tigrayans believe Tigray/Ethiopia owns Eritrea, there won’t be any people to people relations.

and Eritrean Muslims who exist within the Tigrinya tribe and in the other communities reject tigrayans even harder.

seldiboy

No we don’t consider each other family. The political elites in Eritrea are actually more pro-Tigray (referring to the people) than the actual Kebessa people.

The govt will make excuses such as “it’s not Tigrayans, TPLF is the problem” but the people have their gripes. Their history has been whitewashed. Throughout history they pillaged us and raided. Even during the Derg, all the Derg troops in Eritrea were Tigrayans. My grandfather nearly lost his life after a Tigrayan Dergi infiltrated a covert ELF cell he was in

Before the war, Tigrayans would chill with the Eritrean diaspora communities. Obviously they would not openly admit that they were Tigrayans lest they would be looked down upon. However, after the war started, they revealed themselves.

No we don’t consider each other family. The political elites in Eritrea are actually more pro-Tigray (referring to the people) than the actual Kebessa people.

The govt will make excuses such as “it’s not Tigrayans, TPLF is the problem” but the people have their gripes. Their history has been whitewashed. Throughout history they pillaged us and raided. Even during the Derg, all the Derg troops in Eritrea were Tigrayans. My grandfather nearly lost his life after a Tigrayan Dergi infiltrated a covert ELF cell he was in

Before the war, Tigrayans would chill with the Eritrean diaspora communities. Obviously they would not openly admit that they were Tigrayans lest they would be looked down upon. However, after the war started, they revealed themselves.
Thanks for the explanation, much appreciate it!
It's more complicated than I thought.

How do we consider each other as family, we are not one tribe? Or one nations.

the tigrayans have tried to subjugate and control Eritrea for hundreds of years.

that’s why in Eritrea- Tigray relations are impossible. And many Tigrayan claim Eritrean lands/territory including Badme, eastern sector and the redsea

we are not one ppl, we are Eritreans they are Ethiopians, we don’t consider as us one. When we meet, political differences cause tensions among us which is why we often avoid each other.

as the 1998 border conflict and 2020 war are very fresh. Only the new Eritrean refugees who were brainwashed by the Agazians are good with Tigrayans, but since a large share of the Tigrayans believe Tigray/Ethiopia owns Eritrea, there won’t be any people to people relations.

and Eritrean Muslims who exist within the Tigrinya tribe and in the other communities reject tigrayans even harder.
Thanks educated a fellow Horner. It's complex but interesting.

Issaq do Dhanto aswell, they even take it a step further and claim it aswell. All Somalis are connected man, millions of secessionists have family from a clan they don’t like. We’re all one people, that’s the reality.

Hop off my Eritrean brother. It’s a shame that your closer to them geographically than the rest of us, I’m jealous really.
Dhaanto is Ogadeen folk dance

EritreanPost_

Y'all the same people with same culture just separated for historical circumstances :ftw9nwa:
No my brother. Are the oromos who speak Somali are they also Somalis. Tigrayans and Eritreans are not the same

EritreanPost_

Not the same thing as both Tigrayans and Eritrea Tigrinya are the same people
It’s very long story and we could discuss about for hours.

Tigrayans are assimilated Tigrinya speakers. Eritrean Tigrinyas created the Tigrinya language.

The Tigrinya language was created in the highlands of Eritrea and spread toward northern Ethiopia.

but the ancestry of Tigrayans and Eritrean Tigrinyas are different.

Eritrean Tigrinyas from Hamasien Seraye and Akele Guzay trace their ancestry to Cushite Beja-Belew Kelew who have inhabited the Eritrean highlands.

Tigrayans trace their ancestry to Agew Ethiopian Cushites. Some have Raya-Oromo back ground some Wollo-Amhara, some have an Irob background

they only thing we have in common is that we have mixed with Yemeni settlers.

But we are not the same. Scottish, English, wales and north Irish are also not the same, even though they speak English.

Last edited:

seldiboy

Y'all the same people with same culture just separated for historical circumstances :ftw9nwa:
Dutch and Flemish have the same language and culture, yet they’re two separate ethnic groups. Same with Serbs and Montenegrins and many more.

Same applies to Kebessa and Tegaru. They’ve been separate since the Zagwe Dynasty

Trending