Siad barre and Ministry of information (1974) comments regarding this 'ancient somali script'

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We find the Roman alphabet more convenient. It is also international. Most of intellectuals and literate citizens are used to it, and our imported equipment are described in Roman alphabet. Technically, we find its use more viable then any other script. For instance, we have an ancient Somali script which, if we were to get emotional, we would have adopted, but we did not, because we believe in reality. As a free people, we met without the so-called foreign experts, asked ourselves which script would best serve our modern needs, and decided on Roman alphabet. As you know, the use of this new alphabet is now a national fact."

https://books.google.iq/books?id=YQ...en&sa=X&ei=s7q4Udv2C-mF0QHJrYHoCA&redir_esc=y

The Writing of the Somali Language: A Great Landmark in Our Revolutionary History
By Wasaaradda Warfaafinta iyo Hanuuninta Dadweynaha

pages 1-3:

"An important point which is often lost sight of is that the ancient Somalis had evolved their own script systems which existed for a considerable period in their history. Convincing historical evidence in this respect is the numerous inscriptions and rockpaintings on cave-walls, on granite rocks, old coins etc., that are found to this day in various parts of the country. Some important sites where ancient inscriptions on cave-walls exist are reported as follows:

1. Godka Xararka in Las Anod District.
2. Qubiyaaley in Las Anod District.
3. Hilayo in Las Khoray District.
4. Karin Heeggane in Las Khoray District.
5. Dhalanle in Las Khoray District.

The most noteworthy of these inscriptions are undoub- edly those found on the mysterious «Taalo Tiiriyaad». These are huge stone mounds which are dotted about in northeastern Somalia and are a veritable archaeological riddle, since it is hard to tell when and for what purpose they were constructed. Noteworthy Taalo sites are in places such as:

1. Baar Madhere in Beledweyne District.
2. Xabaalo Ambiyad in Alula District.
3. Harti Yimid in Las Anod District.

Yet, these strange edifices must have had a definite purpose. Local opinion holds that they used to serve as altars or as sorts of religious monuments in the era when nature-worship was practised in the Land; still others consider that the Taalos mark ancient graveyards in which were buried important personages — chieftains, rulers, etc. together with their personal effects. In any case, these mute sentinels could, no doubt, tell much about the country's cultural and historical past and give us a glimpse into the life-story of by-gone ages. Although it is difficult to determine what caused the ancient Somalian system of writing to disappear altogether and how long it flourished, etc., there is no doubt that the encroachment of foreign cultures had greatly contributed to its final decline and disappearance. An interesting point, however, is that this script system was apparently based on vowel sound, not a Word-Picture writing as in ancient Egypt. As generations succeeded one another and people acquired better technical and scientific knowledge there were constant reforms and improvements called forth by the new social conditions of the age. This process might have been repeated over and over again in subsequent periods in the history of the land, until the very old forms of Somalian script finally died out and were completely forgotten by later generations."

http://dspace-roma3.caspur.it/bitst...eat landmark in our revolutionary history.pdf

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Great posts as usual.

I really look forward to your threads bro

I've still yet to see any evidence for this 'ancient Somali script'.

I see this floating around whenever google searches up for an ancient script
6534799821_56ef4d7f6f_z.jpg
:mjlol::mjlol:

Technically the oldest Somali script thus far (I repeat thus far, who knows what archaeologists will pick up in the future) was created within a century ago (Wadaad did not become standardised until the mid 1950's even though it has been used since the 13th century.)

Technically the oldest Somali script thus far (I repeat thus far, who knows what archaeologists will pick up in the future) was created within a century ago (Wadaad did not become standardised until the mid 1950's even though it has been used since the 13th century.)
It looks like some stick figure dance moves:mjlol:

How did we go from having a trading bases civilization to being camel herders in the miyee? I don't understand how we took 100000 steps backwards. Has this ever happened anywhere else?

How did we go from having a trading bases civilization to being camel herders in the miyee? I don't understand how we took 100000 steps backwards. Has this ever happened anywhere else?
Majority of Somalis were camel herders. Only a tiny group lived in the cities as traders.

That's not really a script though. Those are symbols used by pastoralists to mark their livestock.

@Prince Abubu Both Saylac iyo Baraawe were sacked by the Portuguese at one point, they also failed to take over muqdisho and had pretty much reduced the influence of our nearby Kilwa Sultanate which eventually collapsed, took over Mozambique, were in Abyssinia, Oman and parts of India (key coastal towns), it's still astonishing how we managed to prevent ourself from being colonised by these scum and how often we humiliated these people in the Habesha highlands, across the red sea and the indian ocean.

Portuguese+Empire+Map.png

Also regarding those symbols, here are more information to it. Take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
If siad Barre knew anything he would've known that a Roman alphabet isn't good for the Somali language atleast the way we use to day isn't efficient at all

The Barre regime was professional as f*ck, especially compared to the clowns currently running Somalia.

I would prefer to have this thread remain discussing this so called script, it's competency as a regime in regards to the script we use at the moment can be discussed in this thread but anything else, please elsewhere.

If siad Barre knew anything he would've known that a Roman alphabet isn't good for the Somali language atleast the way we use to day isn't efficient at all

I dislike how vowels are used in this roman alphabet, surely we could have had special characters such as Ö instead of OO. HÖYO instead of = HOOYO.

SÖMÄLIYA Instead of soomaaliya

There are also tonal difference to certain words to which we can barely distinguish with the current alphabe, before you recommend arabic, we cannot use that script too.

I would prefer to have this thread remain discussing this so called script, it's competency as a regime can be discussed elsewhere.

I dislike how vowels are used in this roman alphabet, surely we could have had special characters such as Ö instead of OO. HÖYO instead of = HOOYO.

SÖMÄLIYA Instead of soomaaliya

There are also tonal difference to certain words to which we can barely distinguish with the current alphabe, before you recommend arabic, we cannot use that script too.
Using special characters would be a huge improvement but I think Arabic is not a perfect soultion it's much better than what we have
But I want to ask you something what would you do to fix the tonal difference should we use the Chinese way but it wouldn't be useful since Somali has only two tones instead of 4

Actually the same thing can be said about many language scripts around the world as the written word tended to vary by regional dialects and even near by villages.
Although, Western/European languages were standardised earlier on due to the arrival of the printing press in the early-modern period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending