Should Somalia ban famines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In today's world, famines are entirely man-made. More people die today from obesity (eating too much food) than die from hunger. Simply put, the world produces more food than can be consumed leading a lot of food being thrown away. Just think of how much food you discard TODAY alone!

There is no such thing "natural" famines anymore. Natural famines occurred in the old days when there was simply not enough food to eat. The last true natural famine was probably more than 100 years ago.

Most famines since then were caused by political failings. The famine of 1991-1992 in Somalia, which I lived through and survived, was caused by politicians. The famine underway right now in Somalia is also the result of the abject political failures of so-called Somali leaders. I've seen videos of countless dead goats, camels and cows. If Somalia functioned as a politically well run country, these value assets (livestock) would be sold in a functioning market and the proceeds used to purchase food from international food markets.

Neither does drought cause famine. There's been sever droughts in California and Australia for several years. People die from hunger during droughts because of poverty and because of market failure. If Somali markets functioned properly, people would've sold their animals, rather than watch them all die, and then used the proceeds to buy food until the drought resided.

So, I ask: Should Somalia ban famines? Should hold Somali politicians personally responsible for future famines? Imagine Somali politicians hauled in front of courts for crime of committing famine.

In today's world, famines are entirely man-made. More people die today from obesity (eating too much food) than die from hunger. Simply put, the world produces more food than can be consumed leading a lot of food being thrown away. Just think of how much food you discard TODAY alone!

There is no such thing "natural" famines anymore. Natural famines occurred in the old days when there was simply not enough food to eat. The last true natural famine was probably more than 100 years ago.

Most famines since then were caused by political failings. The famine of 1991-1992 in Somalia, which I lived through and survived, was caused by politicians. The famine underway right now in Somalia is also the result of the abject political failures of so-called Somali leaders. I've seen videos of countless dead goats, camels and cows. If Somalia functioned as a politically well run country, these value assets (livestock) would be sold in a functioning market and the proceeds used to purchase food from international food markets.

Neither does drought cause famine. There's been sever droughts in California and Australia for several years. People die from hunger during droughts because of poverty and because of market failure. If Somali markets functioned properly, people would've sold their animals, rather than watch them all die, and then used the proceeds to buy food until the drought resided.

So, I ask: Should Somalia ban famines? Should hold Somali politicians personally responsible for future famines? Imagine Somali politicians hauled in front of courts for crime of committing famine.
I like how you added that

Completely true, famines aren't cause by lack of money but by the governments inability to manage/coordinate resources. This is why I hate all these dumbasses begging and thanking Westerners for aid. Maybe 50% of it will get to the people if they're lucky, and it still doesn't solve the problem.

STOP BEGGING FOR AID ON SOCIAL MEDIA NOW

Famines in Somalia are natural these days. The land can no longer support all the pastoralists thanks to deforestation. We have a famine every decade.

Decades ago we used to recurring droughts but the effects were never this severe. There was only ever one man made drought and that was in the 90s when usc clan militias blocked food aid and looted wealth in bay and bakool etc.

$$$$$$$$$$$$,

I read a story about Somali pastoralist who lost his entire heard of 65 (or there about, can't remember the exact number) of goats and camels. If Somalia had functioning markets, he would have sold valuable assets and bought food, fodder and water for himself and the rest of his herd. The average goat sells for about $500 per head and the average camel about $1000 per head. Let's just say average market price for his herd (ignore if camel or goat) is $500. If sold just 10 camels/goats, he would net $5000 which would easily sustain him and his herd for sometime. The fact he lost his entire net worth to famine is the result of political failure.

Famines in Somalis is caused by political failures in the following:

-No functioning markets at all
-Poorly functioning or inefficient markets
-No foreign currency reserves
-No early warning systems
-No strategic national reserve
-No coherent plan for preventing famines
-No poverty alleviation programs (after all only poor die from hunger)
-No programs to fight desertification or improve the resiliance of Somali farmers and pastoralists

And so on and so forth. All of the above are the direct byproduct of political failures.

Your entire conception of food production is wrong. You don't have to produce the food you consume. Do you think Saudi Arabia or Egypt produce all the food they consume? You can purchase from other countries not only food for your people but also fodder for your animal.Animal feed is huge international business. We have the longest coastline in Africa that's abundant with fish. Why can't we get decent fishing industry. And if we don't like eating fish, fine! Sell your fish to the fish eaters and use the proceeds to buy food you can't grow yourself. Again, all this is the result of volitional choices that Somali leaders have made.

Famines in Somalia are natural these days. The land can no longer support all the pastoralists thanks to deforestation. We have a famine every decade.

Decades ago we used to recurring droughts but the effects were never this severe. There was only ever one man made drought and that was in the 90s when usc clan militias blocked food aid and looted wealth in bay and bakool etc.
Will you claim Rahanweyn next HashiBarre/Galaeri?:ayaanswag:

What you fAil to understand is that there really isn't a "Somalia " or a "Somali government " or even "bla bla land " regimes .they are too poor and these "governments" are not even fit enough to rule In the 1920s. Somalia is a land mass settled by Somalis.the reer baadiye who are dying do not have governments to represent them .how can these so called governments help them when their budgets are lower than mid table British football teams ?

VixR

Veritas
Completely true, famines aren't cause by lack of money but by the governments inability to manage/coordinate resources. This is why I hate all these dumbasses begging and thanking Westerners for aid. Maybe 50% of it will get to the people if they're lucky, and it still doesn't solve the problem.

STOP BEGGING FOR AID ON SOCIAL MEDIA NOW
Easy for you to say as you eat 3 square meals from the comfort of your home in the West.

Even if only 20% reaches the people on the ground, that doesn't = pointless so long as we continue to fail at planning on our own! Until then, fucking swallow the worthless pride.

Will you claim Rahanweyn next HashiBarre/Galaeri?:ayaanswag:

Can you get off my dick mate.

I said it :dzmxmmb: Times. I am not this guy. :wow:

Why are you sensitive anyway? I share the truth and then I am slandered for it. You snowflakes get triggered if I say anything about Hawiye even when I don't use provocative language.

Can you get off my dick mate.

I said it :dzmxmmb: Times. I am not this guy. :wow:

Why are you sensitive anyway? I share the truth and then I am slandered for it. You snowflakes get triggered if I say anything about Hawiye even when I don't use provocative language.
Don't play games kid you already confirmed you're HashiBarre/Galaeri. Why pick up the act after dropping it?

All of Somalia's famines have been made man-made and could've been avoided. Chalk it up to another example of Somali incompetence and corruption.

How about we start a group of young bearded revolutionaries and sieze the means of production? I don't see the somali populace standing up to capitalist greed anytime soon.

Whos with me? :win:
guerrila-cuba-770x470.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts