Should a 3/4 Somali person identify as mixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was speaking with this Somali girl I know from uni earlier who said that I shouldn't call myself Somali because I'm a quarter Malagasy (my grandma is from there). :kodaksmiley: She was like "you should rep your Malagasy side, being mixed race is cool". Only problem is, I really don't know much about Madagascar except for a bit of the language/culture/food and being more Somali, obviously I would identify more with that. Even my mom being half identifies more with her Somali side since she grew up in Djibouti and not Madagascar. I only bring up being mixed if the topic comes up (like it did earlier) or if someone asks why I don't look very Somali. I know tons of people who have a grandparent from Yemen and I don't see them claiming Arab :francis:

So yea, what do ya think? Is a 3/4 Somali essentially = ajanabi to you?

Opone

{ Athiest \ Stoner \Code Monkey \ Anti Qabil } ;
thats a unique mix. i think you should acknowledge your mix but since majority of you is somali it only makes sense to identify with that. what do malagasy people look like?

thats a unique mix. i think you should acknowledge your mix but since majority of you is somali it only makes sense to identify with that. what do malagasy people look like?

There's not really a set "look", since Malagasy people are diverse and are a mixture of different races, mostly African (from Mozambique) and southeast Asian (from Indonesia).

Last edited:
how does one "feel" somali? :dead:

Living with Somalis, hanging with them.

I know one guy who speaks Somali better than me and wants to marry a Somali. He eats Somali food. Who am I to deny him into our community when he loves all things Somali?

VixR

Veritas
You are mixed. You're 75% Somali 25% Malagasy. It's not a matter of which "side" to " identify with". FOTG you have a claim to it all.

Transparent

cismaan maxamuud
So I was speaking with this Somali girl I know from uni earlier who said that I shouldn't call myself Somali because I'm a quarter Malagasy (my grandma is from there). :kodaksmiley: She was like "you should rep your Malagasy side, being mixed race is cool". Only problem is, I really don't know much about Madagascar except for a bit of the language/culture/food and being more Somali, obviously I would identify more with that. Even my mom being half identifies more with her Somali side since she grew up in Djibouti and not Madagascar. I only bring up being mixed if the topic comes up (like it did earlier) or if someone asks why I don't look very Somali. I know tons of people who have a grandparent from Yemen and I don't see them claiming Arab :francis:

malgasy mixed with somali wow that's pretty unique,anyways your 75% somali so you are coming under our wing.

Something tells me she was one of those self hating "half-malaysian, quarter-dutch, 1/18th papuan" "East African" xaliimos.:camby:

@OP. Ignore her. If you're 75% anything then you are from that community.

Does anybody else think this

Status
Not open for further replies.