Shirib - traditional dance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shirib is a major part of the Istunka and Dabshid at Afgoy. It involves both the Geledi and the Hawiye::

http://www.wardheernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Istunka-By-Abdilahi-Somaliyow.pdf

"One of the most important elements among the preparatory steps of Istunka is the Shirib. Shiriba
is nighttime songs and poetry performed usually on Friday nights since it is convenient to the farmers
who don't go tilling on Fridays. Shirib is performed by a group of men in two long lines,
with a song master (Lashin) reciting the song and the others singing after him as soon as he gives
them an easy piece of verse that contains the gist of the context he was reciting. Shirib may have
various aspects in meaning and in use, but as far as Istunka is concerned, the songs recited and
the most of the verses comply with the bravery and pride of a group or an individual who is a
brave warrior. It is also a ritual song with which a rival group is taunted of cowardice and other
evil deeds done by any member of them.
The highlight of the Shirib nights is that one of Dhafarka (the night of the sleeplessness). Since it
is the last night of the Shirib, this gathering attracts high number of crowds and singers who
cross the rival area, mostly singing verses of threats and boastful predictions of what the
determined warriors would do the following day. At the end of every verse is marked by
chanting and heavy stomping of feet on the ground called Sarqaatis. Also when the men are at
the peak of their Sarqaatis in chanting, or whenever the song master recited a meaningful verse,
the female folks are there ready with applause for a boost of moral. Another useful point of
women's accompaniment in this night is that they carry food and thermos flasks full of tea or
sugarless coffee in baskets on their backs.
The Shirib of Dhafarka lasts until sunrise of the following morning after which most of the
youths go to the bushes and up on the trees to get enough sticks for the afternoon fight. At
around three o'clock in the afternoon different teams of each side gather dressed in smartly
tailored uniforms, and sing their Shirib along the streets of their area after which all roads lead to
the battle grounds again"

warculus

pls im broke send moneys
Its an Abgaal tradition but some other Mudulood's take part aswell.
It relies heavily words that start with the same letter, and has the same theme thorughout the shirib.
There are different kind of types of shiribs;
Shirib

Shirib guurow:

Shimbir gabley:

Also popular shirib style such as '.... walxaato ha ku taal' which you probably heard of

Last edited:

Merca

Inactive.
There’s another type of shirib that’s “modern”. Like this one for example:

Is it even shirib? It sounds very different compared to the more “traditional” ones... Enlighten me please.

I remember a video that was about different “African martial arts” and they showcased an allegedly Somali martial arts that later turned out to be South African haha.
I dont think we are thinking about the same dance. Im from the north its probably a dance they do there. It was a dance where they made a big circle 2 persons at time went in and jumped around with macawis and did flips n shit :bell:

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
I am learning new fascinating stuff about different groups in Somalia everyday. Thank you OP for introducing these beautiful songs and dances to me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.