Shabelle river dries up again, has never happened twice in one year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Somalis are starting to find out the effects of population growth, and of having 6 children for each woman. Like yajooj and majooj of the end times, Somalis have lapped a river dry. You cannot have thousands of diesel pumps on a small river and not have it run out downstream, couple that with a high rate of evaporation and you have a disaster in the making. Afgooye is the most agriculturally productive district in Somalia, if it is not getting water, it will mean a lot of people going hungry in the near future. Very depressing.

Allahu mustacaan :dwill:

It would be sad to see Wabi Shabelle become seasonal river like in the north. Factor in global warming and it is only going to get worse.

They didn't seem to discuss the reasons for it being dry, only the consequences
The next video uploaded on that channel is a roobdoon prayer
:( sad thing wallahi
I thought Somalia had a lot of groundwater tho

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Allahu mustacaan :dwill:

It would be sad to see Wabi Shabelle become seasonal river like in the north. Factor in global warming and it is only going to get worse.

I think eventually the Shabelle will end somewhere in Hiiraan. If you go to google maps and you look at the size of the floodplain near Godey, it is nearly 12 km wide. DDSI will in the coming years irrigate that floodplain, with water that would have gone to Lower Shabelle. Most of the expensive infrastructure in LS such as canals and barrages will be rendered useless if an agreement is not reached with Ethiopia. There are at least 3-4 million people directly affected by this in Somalia.

I predicted this almost 3 years ago
https://goo.gl/7edeaQ

It's the jigjiga regime i heard they planned to submit hawiye by destroying there economy. They bought hundreds of diesel pumps and run them most of the day to empty the river from kilinka5. Hawiye should force Ethiopia to check water usage in their side.

Use it or Lose it! The Jubba and Shabelle rivers are not a right they are a privilege.

It doesn't reach Afgoye as raging river, it pretty much stops at Jowhar now and if this government keep abandoning
agriculture the river will stop at Beledweyne.

Ethiopia can't turn off the tap on the rivers, but they have been turning river water
into drinkable water, couple that with heavy irrigation in Ethiopia it makes sense for
the river to drop its table.

Many International Agro companies in Ethiopia have Said "Use it or Lose it". The
Somali government would rather sell oil concessions during low oil prices, instead of
focusing on Agriculture and turning every Sq/Hector of they valleys to exports.

This is why it's important for people to start investing in farming in Jubba and Shabelle,
the government doesn't teach people or incentivize them to learn Agriculture. The farmers
I know in Shabelle and Jubba get ZERO help from the government.

Use it or Lose it! The Jubba and Shabelle rivers are not a right they are a privilege.

It doesn't reach Afgoye as raging river, it pretty much stops at Jowhar now and if this government keep abandoning
agriculture the river will stop at Beledweyne.

Ethiopia can't turn off the tap on the rivers, but they have been turning river water
into drinkable water, couple that with heavy irrigation in Ethiopia it makes sense for
the river to drop its table.

Many International Agro companies in Ethiopia have Said "Use it or Lose it". The
Somali government would rather sell oil concessions during low oil prices, instead of
focusing on Agriculture and turning every Sq/Hector of they valleys to exports.

This is why it's important for people to start investing in farming in Jubba and Shabelle,
the government doesn't teach people or incentivize them to learn Agriculture. The farmers
I know in Shabelle and Jubba get ZERO help from the government.

Maybe its time for the farmers to set up a farmers union and start lobbying the government. It works here in the western world it should work in Somalis very easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending