[Serious] Can we talk about Golis Telecom

Mods please advise if this is the wrong section.

I haven't posted in this forum for a few years and happy to see it's still, can't say the quality of posts has improved much though.

Anyway to the point of this topic, I have a serious topic that's been in the back of my mind for a few years now but something I've been thinking a lot about the past couple weeks.

I'd like to open a discussion about Golis Telecom and it's role in fuelling the AlShabab insurgency in Somalia. I find it extremely surprisingly that whenever security issues in Somalia is being discussed, Golis and the role of Somali telecoms are never in brought up, whether it's civil discourse or by the Somali government. I find this just simply astounding for the following reasons:

1. There is no single better source of intelligence regarding terrorist activities and communication than mobile networks.
2. AlShabab uses mobile phones as the primary method of carrying out extortions, communicating with their members and coordinating terrorist activities.
3. AlShabab collects 'taxes' (extortions) via mobile money. I know this for a fact as I have a relative who pays AlShabab through this method, and there are plenty reports corroborating this.

I find it just simply incredible that the Somali government hasn't either nationalized Golis and/or have proper systems in place to monitor mobile networks so the telecom infrastructure is being used to run the operations of AlShabab. I simply don't understand it. It is the single most cost effective way of improving security in the country while at the same time severely curtailing AlShababs operations. AlShabab should simply not be able to use any telecom infrastructure to carry out their deeds. They should be forced to use the methods of the Taliban and resort to using cash and human couriers.

The point of this topic is, can someone please explain to me:
1. Why this isn't being done?
2. Why is this never discussed? I read a lot about Somali security issues and the role of Somali telecom operators rarely ever comes up. If you've seen this being discussed or any reporting please post it here.

I simply don't understand how this isn't the #1 priority of the government. Can you imagine AlQaida using T-Mobile to operate their terrorist network? Even the Mexican cartels set up their own encrypted radio network for communication. How can a terrorist organization that's at war with the government openly use the national telecom network with no consequences?

Note: I understand many of the telecom operators are paying ransoms to AlShabab to keep their infrastructure in place. Some of the operators have been killed for failing to pay.

Another question, what is the best policy the Somali government can have regarding paying ransoms? It's already been reported this year that AlShabab collects significantly more revenue than the Somali government.

Should their be a blanket ban on the telecoms paying this ransoms?

It brings me back to my first point: controlling the mobile networks and preventing AlShabab from operating mobile money bank accounts can go along way. There is no way they can get a fraction of the revenue they collect if they are forced out of mobile money. Right now what they do is just call businesses, threaten to kill them if they don't pay 'zakat', and boom free money.

Anyway kind of rambling here but would like to hear any comments/opinions on this topic from members here.

Last edited:

Rooble44

Bishop of the order of Gacanta Furan ✋

I haven't posted in this forum for a few years and happy to see it's still, can't say the quality of posts has improved much though.

Anyway to the point of this topic, I have a serious topic that's been in the back of my mind for a few years now but something I've been thinking a lot about the past couple weeks.

I'd like to open a discussion about Golis Telecom and it's role in fuelling the AlShabab insurgency in Somalia. I find it extremely surprisingly that whenever security issues in Somalia is being discussed, Golis and the role of Somali telecoms are never in brought up, whether it's civil discourse or by the Somali government. I find this just simply astounding for the following reasons:

1. There is no single better source of intelligence regarding terrorist activities and communication than mobile networks.
2. AlShabab uses mobile phones as the primary method of carrying out extortions, communicating with their members and coordinating terrorist activities.
3. AlShabab collects 'taxes' (extortions) via mobile money. I know this for a fact as I have a relative who pays AlShabab through this method, and there are plenty reports corroborating this.

I find it just simply incredible that the Somali government hasn't either nationalized Golis and/or have proper systems in place to monitor mobile networks so the telecom infrastructure is being used to run the operations of AlShabab. I simply don't understand it. It is the single most cost effective way of improving security in the country while at the same time severely curtailing AlShababs operations. AlShabab should simply not be able to use any telecom infrastructure to carry out their deeds. They should be forced to use the methods of the Taliban and resort to using cash and human couriers.

2. Why is this never discussed? I read a lot about Somali security issues and the role of Somali telecom operators rarely ever comes up. If you've seen this being discussed or any reporting please post it here.

I simply don't understand how this isn't the #1 priority of the government. Can you imagine AlQaida using T-Mobile to operate their terrorist network? Even the Mexican cartels set up their own encrypted radio network for communication. How can a terrorist organization that's at war with the government openly use the national telecom network with no consequences?

Note: I understand many of the telecom operators are paying ransoms to AlShabab to keep their infrastructure in place. Some of the operators have been killed for failing to pay.

Another question, what is the best policy the Somali government can have regarding paying ransoms? It's already been reported this year that AlShabab collects significantly more revenue than the Somali government.

It brings me back to my first point: controlling the mobile networks and preventing AlShabab from operating mobile money bank accounts can go along way. There is no way they can get a fraction of the revenue they collect if they are forced out of mobile money. Right now what they do is just call businesses, threaten to kill them if they don't pay 'zakat', and boom free money.

Anyway kind of rambling here but would like to hear any comments/opinions on this topic from members here.
That's a very good point you've brought up, unfortunately its something that has puzzled me for a very long time.

Manafesto

[[Puntland Republic 🇸🇱]]PIM[[C.S(BihinYusuf)]
VIP
HalimoEnthusiast

You wrote a whole thread on Malayacni and Ku tiri kuteen,first of all this is the first time hearing someone linking Golis to Al Shabaab, secondly Golis Telecom is owned by Puntites and operates in Puntland regionse where A.S don't operate at.

Do you have any proof that links Golis to the terror group you have mentioned? Can you provide a link to back up your claim? You are moving like as Dahir Alasow by defaming public companies without a single a shred of evidence.

You wrote a whole thread on Malayacni and Ku tiri kuteen,first of all this is the first time hearing someone linking Golis to Al Shabaab, secondly Golis Telecom is owned by Puntites and operates in Puntland regionse where A.S don't operate at.

Do you have any proof that links Golis to the terror group you have mentioned? Can you provide a link to back up your claim? You are moving like as Dahir Alasow by defaming public companies without a single a shred of evidence.

I'm scratching my head thinking of how to respond to this comment.

"First time hearing someone linking Golis to Al Shabaab"

If this is the first time you're hearing a link between Golis/Somali telecom operators and AlShabab, then you are not the target audience of this thread. I don't care to hear about your opinion. My job is not to educate you on very rudimentary information on Somali security issues, AlShabab and it's methods of operation.

If you don't have the mental capacity to spend 5 minutes on Google on this topic, I most certainly won't be spending any energy communicating with you beyond this post. You wouldn't even need Google, have you had your head under a sand for the last decade? Do you think AlShabab communicate using walkie talkies?

And do you have reading comprehension disorder? I provided detailed information on how AlShabab uses the telecom infrastructure to conduct their operations. Golis is biggest telecom operator in Somalia, by disputing a link between Golis & AlShabab you are by extension disputing AlShabab uses telecom infrastructure to conduct their activities, which simply isn't true. They use mobile phones to coordinate attacks & assasinations, harass and intimidate businesses, collect extortion revenue etc.

Trending