MTV on Toronto's Somali rap scene (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chick said, "As much he is a big artist I really feel he is in touch with what goes on in his city". You mean the same nikka that feels unsafe in his own city? :mjlol:

There was a funny Seinfeld episode involving a friend of Jerry's. The friend's name was Drake - a nice enough person, but a guy who was sometimes adored ("love the Drake!"), and sometimes despised ("hate the Drake!").
When it comes to the Toronto-bred hip-hop star Drake, his supporters would seem to outweigh his haters. Why then would he "feel unsafe in Toronto at all times," as he disclosed in a recently published interview with The New York Times? Perhaps it has something to do with an incident involving Drake at a restaurant in Toronto's Little Italy neighbourhood on May 31, 2009. Two men were accused of robbing the recording artist at gunpoint, and were later were convicted of lesser charges. Both men have served their sentences.
The stealing of bling would normally be just a blip on the blotter, except that it involves a now world-famous recording artist who has since been branded, perhaps outlandishly, as a tattletale. The Toronto rapper known as Big Page has accused Drake of acting dishonourably for co-operating in the police investigation, going so far as to tweet accusatorily: "How u gonna rep toronto on a big scale and be a snitch at the same time???"

You're supposed to follow the code of that lifestyle, the code of the street and keep your mouth shut Big Page​

The use of multiple question marks serve to accentuate the intensity of Big Page's concern.

In an interview with The Globe and Mail this week, Big Page elaborated on his outrage. "Drake doesn't understand the seriousness of the things that he gets involved in," says the rapper, who collaborated with Drake on the Juno-nominated 2009 single I'm Still Fly. "When he was robbed, he was with goons - friends who represented a certain lifestyle," says Big Page. "You're supposed to follow the code of that lifestyle, the code of the street and keep your mouth shut.

"He tries to mix his Forest Hill life and the new hood life that he's trying to start with his hood buddies. There are people, people who are forced to be on the street, who will be offended by that. That's why it could be an unsafe environment for him."

The roots of Big Page's quarrel - or "beef," in street parlance - lie in the aforementioned I'm Still Fly. According to Big Page, who admits that before their relationship soured the pair enjoyed what he calls a "friendly rivalry," Drake released a freestyle (or unofficial variation) of the song before the proper Big Page-Drake single hit the airwaves. "People automatically assumed [the song]was his," explains Big Page, "and that was when the tension began to grow between us."
Drake was unavailable for comment.
The street-savvy Big Page, who is black, has since directed at least one "diss song" toward Drake, who is of white Jewish and black heritage. Big Page's opinions aside, there is little evidence that Drake is attempting to cultivate any sort of "street cred." The rapper (who resides in Toronto although he's rarely here) was downright nerdy in appearance when he sang with the swoop-haired Justin Bieber on this year's Juno Awards.
And although he recently visited the rapper Lil Wayne in prison, Drake told MTV that his boss advised him against tattoos. "Don't change yourself, please," Wayne apparently told Drake. "I've never met a young dude that has it figured out, but you got it."
This week, the MC, known as Aubrey Graham previously when he was an actor on the Canadian TV high-school drama Degrassi: The Next Generation, released his debut album, Thank Me Later. Sunday, he'll be one of the headlining performers at the MuchMusic Video Awards in Toronto. If the 23-year-old hip-hop phenom feels unsafe here, his apprehension may stem from the commotion his appearance could cause at an event that also stars host Miley Cyrus and the riot-starting Bieber. A free outdoor Drake concert in New York on Tuesday was shut down by police, as violence flared throughout the over-capacity crowd.
Responding to Drake's suggestion that he feels less than secure in his own hometown, Toronto police spokesman Mark Pugash said: "If he has any concerns at all, he should contact police. That's something we would take very seriously."
Drake is more likely to take the advice of a hip-hop mentor than the Toronto Police Department, no disrespect intended. On the album track Light Up, a fatherly verse from the rapping superstar Jay-Z is a warning: "Drake, here is how they goin' to come at you/ with silly raps for you, tryin' to distract you."
So far, the distractions haven't worked. One million Drake fans can't be wrong - they love the Drake.

Al Dhoobe

Dr. Dhoobe
I think their music is all completely xaar, and I've only seen a few somalis who could do hip hop. Mo-g and his group have some skills though... But as long as they're young, somali and succeed I'll support them. maxaa iga galay :kanyeshrug:

I guess paying off the madows and bangers from Malvern and MNE to be apart of your squad makes you a G in this city these days.
full

afrosomali

closer to god we africans
Nah, he basically giving them a shoutout. He does it all the time to up & coming rappers to show support.
nah when drake remixed sweeter man he made ramriddlz take his video down so new listeners (outside of toronto) couldnt here the reference track (drake bites all of ramriddlz steez nd his best lines)

drakes a snake

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
I like when he gets all religious on Instagram and then deletes all his posts in the morning.

nah when drake remixed sweeter man he made ramriddlz take his video down so new listeners (outside of toronto) couldnt here the reference track (drake bites all of ramriddlz steez nd his best lines)

drakes a snake
this is the funniest shit i ever seen in my life.
if drake is biting this nigga then god help us all.

afrosomali

closer to god we africans
this is the funniest shit i ever seen in my life.
if drake is biting this nigga then god help us all.
that song is fire u deaf

lesbereal i cant even tell anymore if drake can ride a beat on his own without a ref track- he bites this kid so hard its not even funny

his version is obviously btter because his finished product was professional nd this kid was just a stoner fucking around he wasnt even an artist before this

that song is fire u deaf

lesbereal i cant even tell anymore if drake can ride a beat on his own without a ref track- he bites this kid so hard its not even funny

his version is obviously btter because his finished product was professional nd this kid was just a stoner fucking around he wasnt even an artist before this

sorry bruh i cant f*ck with it:drakekidding:

you're right tho, i can see that drake got inspiration from him for his hotline Bling video but Ramriddlz mentioned in an interview that ovo reached out to him which means he most likely gave them the rights to the sweeterman track, which is probably why it was taken down.
idk.. wouldn't be the first time Drake has been caught biting or using ref tracks tho

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
At least they're getting money instead shooting each other up in dhegcas restaurants :kanyeshrug:

That doesnt change the fact that they are appropriating a culture that doesnt belong to them

Appropriation is not the problem.
I wouldn't exactly call what they do culture to begin with. :ulachen001::lol:

Nothing but complete and utter degenerates sagging their paints showing people their doo doo stained panties and glorifying getting one up the ass in prison.

You can see from their response they have zero concern with anything beyond attitude, speaking bad English, wearing your pants low, walking with bad posture, and gaining status by being as ignorant as possible.

Don't be bothered by it you should just sit back and applaud them for being an embracement of a non-Somali stereotype. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts