Menkhaus: Returning refugees will change demographics of cities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP

Jubaland must make sure to send people from Bay&Bakool back home if it does not want to face even more political instability in the future. Further complicating the clan composition of Kismayo and Jubaland as a whole is a recipe for disaster.

Somali should be able to live wherever he/she wishes, these federal states all need to be brought down crashing, every city needs a mayor, the Ethiopian ethnic model doesn't work with a homogeneous society.

On one hand you guys have pipe dreams about turning Somalia into South Korea.

On the other hand you want to maintain a system where citizens of the country do not have the right to free movement or settlement in their own country. Fockin morons.

Galaeri

USC | Ururka Bililiqada iyo Kufsiga
I believe in ideals like the one where Somalia is for the Somali. But the reality is in today's Somalia that would be a catastrophe. We are having violent struggles in Gaalkacyo and Merka, and we have had really bad ones in Kismaayo and Mogadishu historically. It would be best to ensure that the historic land owners are in the clear majority to ensure we don't have clashes between competing groups. Anyone that thinks otherwise is very naive.

I hope people who don't hail from from Kismaayo choose to go to Mogadishu. It is a more diverse city, and 'allegedly' more tolerant.

This is why I wanted to buy land Kismaayo lol. There is also a general cashlessness in Somalia atm. Apparently it is a good time to buy.

I believe in ideals like the one where Somalia is for the Somali. But the reality is in today's Somalia that would be a catastrophe. We are having violent struggles in Gaalkacyo and Merka, and we have had really bad ones in Kismaayo and Mogadishu historically. It would be best to ensure that the historic land owners are in the clear majority to ensure we don't have clashes between competing groups. Anyone that thinks otherwise is very naive.

I hope people who don't hail from from Kismaayo choose to go to Mogadishu. It is a more diverse city, and 'allegedly' more tolerant.

This is why I wanted to buy land Kismaayo lol. There is also a general cashlessness in Somalia atm. Apparently it is a good time to buy.

If you use conflict as a yard-stick to how things should be and stay, you will sound ridiculous. Apply this logic anywhere else in the world :pachah1:

Galaeri

If you use conflict as a yard-stick to how things should be, you will sound ridiculous. Apply this logic anywhere in the world :pachah1:

I would change my mind if some of these conflicts had ended and if all these clan militias had been disarmed. However that is not the case, in Merka and Gaalkacyo there is fighting every few months, and the fighting always erupts for the same reasons. Why should I believe that anything will change.

I am glad Kismaayo finally became peaceful even though it is in the helm of someone I dislike. I would not want to see the fragile security erode when some 'foreigners' arrive. Very little has changed since the beginning of the war. If anything we will see new conflict.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
On one hand you guys have pipe dreams about turning Somalia into South Korea.

On the other hand you want to maintain a system where citizens of the country do not have the right to free movement or settlement in their own country. Fockin morons.

Jubaland achieved balance between the clans after 26 years of conflict, why add more clans to the mix? These refugees should go to Baydhabo instead, they will receive UN aid no matter what city they choose.

Freedom of movement is fine and good when a country is stable and has institutions, it is too soon for such things, the system we have now can't handle it.

So Somali refugees can seek asylum in completely foreign countries but can't return to Somalia for clan reasons? Get a grip.

The process should be gradual and take into account the clan make up of the different states, otherwise we will have even more conflict.

Women and children should be prioritized first, families second, men last.

Galaeri

So Somali refugees can seek asylum in completely foreign countries but can't return to Somalia for clan reasons? Get a grip.

I have the same belief as you (Somalia is for the Somali), but you can't be naive. If you look at the history of the civil war you will that many conflicts have occurred in many Somali cities between the 'foreigners' and the 'natives' (Gaalkacyo, Kismaayo, Mogadishu, and Merka to name a few). Cities like Kismaayo have only just achieved a fragile peace, I wouldn't want to see that erode by the arrival of tens of thousands of 'foreigners'. In an ideal Somalia with no clan militias and no competing clans this would not be an issue, sadly this not the case. If you look at the history of Kismaayo, Merka and Mogadishu you will understand what I am talking about, they are great examples.

I believe in ideals too. If we were to reconcile for real, and real progress was made in Somalia I would change my views in an instant. Until then I will have my apprehension. I hope my states of PL and JL keep this mind since they are the most hetreogenous states (when you exclude Benadir of course). If things don't change it will blow up in their faces (reconciliation&disarmament or their policies).

I used quotation marks for a specific reason. inb4 someone misconstrues my argument using the words 'foreigners' and 'natives' :russ:

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
Hard situation to be honest. I wouldn't accept large refugees of non Dhulbahante origin settling in my lands, we are extremely xenophobic.

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
That will change sxb, Mudane Farmaajo has revived Somalinimo.
:rejoice:
Arabian-Camel.jpg

As long as this animal is in Somalia, i don't think so sxb:wow1:

Walahi we have no option but to have every Somali government to take some of the burden, in order to not have the returnees to flat out outnumber a region, we have to share the temporary hardship,

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
We should take heed from the mistakes of the Kacaan in dealing with large numbers of refugees and ensure we don't create new problems.

And that was in a stable Somalia.

Status
Not open for further replies.