Genuine article about sex workers or a clapback at Dalsoor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dalsoor did a feature on non-Somali Kenyan sex workers who wear jilbab and niqab to attract Somali men in Eastleigh:

Then The Star, a Kenyan newspaper wrote an article which on the surface could be legit, but upon inspection seems to touch on themes from the Dalsoor video (highlighted). The title also seems to be borrowed from articles they've written about sex workers in Kenya in 2012 and 2013. Search 'Kenya sex workers recognition' on google. There was also another article written about 'Somali sex workers' by a Kenyan where the yet again 'anonymous' prostitute also "ran away from home after becoming pregnant with a non Somali and feared for the baby's life', that article also said that we call non-Somalis 'Madow' (nywele ngumu = hard hair on google translate) and it's like they just lie and can't lie well enough.

Sex workers in Garissa want to be recognised

When someone says 'prostitution' in Garissa county, he or she will be rebuffed. The residents, who mostly come from the Somali community, do not want accept there are sex workers in the county.

Two of them, one local and another non-local, decided to share their story.

17-year-old *Halima Mohamed has been operating on DRC street for the past two years after she ran away from home when she found out she was pregnant.

“I ran away from home when I was just 14 years old. I had a relationship with an older man and when I got pregnant I could not tell my family. I was afraid that they were going to kill my baby because the man was not from our community." Halima says.

Non-locals are usually referred to as 'Nywele ngumu'.

Halima tells me that her baby's father does recognise the child.

DRC is approximately ten minutes from the military camp where many night clubs, pubs and lodges have been erected.

Halima and I are seated on the veranda of one of the clubs as police officers patrol the area.

She applies vaseline on her bruised lower lip.

"One of my clients hit me on my mouth after I told him to pay me. When I went to report the matter to the police station, the officer only referred to me as a and insisted that I need not to file a complaint because of what I do for a living," she says.

"Apart from security officers, health workers are also a problem. They are the ones who stigmatize us a lot. Whenever I go to the hospital to the hospital to pick condoms, they can be heard calling us names such as haram," she adds.

"People in this county are pretenders. They do not want to accept the fact that there are sex workers yet we offer our services to both Somalis and non-Somalis," she says.

The women would go to work from seven in the evening to 10pm when the clubs close shop.

Non-locals usually wear deras while the locals wear trousers, vests and a hat to avoid being recognised.

“I make Sh3,000 in a good day which I use to support my child and I as I have no other means of earning money,” Halima says.

*Muthoni, another sex worker from Murang'a county, says she has no option but to become a sex worker after her husband left her and her child.

She also operates in DRC.

"I wish we had an organisation that would advocate for our rights. It is not by choice that we got here. Its just the circumstances," Muthoni says.

Both women said that they charge Sh500 to clients for each session. If they have sex in a lodging, they charge Sh2,000 and the client is also expected to cover the room's expenses.

In some instances, they have sex with clients in tinted Probox vehicles.

County Aids and STI coordinator, Noor Ahmed says the county has 2,000 sex workers.

Most of these women operate on DRC street and a village called Mororo, which is the first stop after crossing the Tana River bridge from Garissa county.

"The demand for sex work is very high because of the Kismayo corridor. There many member of the disciplined forces who transit through town to Kismayo," Ahmed says.

For this reason, the NGO Sisters Maternity Home (Simaho) was established to grant sex workers with access to an integrated health system.

"Out of the 2,000 sex workers in the county, 500 are linked to Simaho," the coordinator says.

At least 4,023 people in Garissa are living with HIV. Out of this number 3,100 are adults and 923 are children.

"There's a need to address sex work if we are serious about reducing new HIV infections in the county," Ahmed adds.

Simaho's Anthony Njoroge says the county needs to establish a drop centre for sex workers to enable them access integrated health care services.

*Names have been changed to protect the identities of the speakers

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
Dalsoor did a feature on non-Somali Kenyan sex workers who wear jilbab and niqab to attract Somali men in Eastleigh:

Then The Star, a Kenyan newspaper wrote an article which on the surface could be legit, but upon inspection seems to touch on themes from the Dalsoor video (highlighted). The title also seems to be borrowed from articles they've written about sex workers in Kenya in 2012 and 2013. Search 'Kenya sex workers recognition' on google. There was also another article written about 'Somali sex workers' by a Kenyan where the yet again 'anonymous' prostitute also "ran away from home after becoming pregnant with a non Somali and feared for the baby's life', that article also said that we call non-Somalis 'Madow' (nywele ngumu = hard hair on google translate) and it's like they just lie and can't lie well enough.

Sex workers in Garissa want to be recognised

When someone says 'prostitution' in Garissa county, he or she will be rebuffed. The residents, who mostly come from the Somali community, do not want accept there are sex workers in the county.

Two of them, one local and another non-local, decided to share their story.

17-year-old *Halima Mohamed has been operating on DRC street for the past two years after she ran away from home when she found out she was pregnant.

“I ran away from home when I was just 14 years old. I had a relationship with an older man and when I got pregnant I could not tell my family. I was afraid that they were going to kill my baby because the man was not from our community." Halima says.

Non-locals are usually referred to as 'Nywele ngumu'.

Halima tells me that her baby's father does recognise the child.

DRC is approximately ten minutes from the military camp where many night clubs, pubs and lodges have been erected.

Halima and I are seated on the veranda of one of the clubs as police officers patrol the area.

She applies vaseline on her bruised lower lip.

"One of my clients hit me on my mouth after I told him to pay me. When I went to report the matter to the police station, the officer only referred to me as a and insisted that I need not to file a complaint because of what I do for a living," she says.

"Apart from security officers, health workers are also a problem. They are the ones who stigmatize us a lot. Whenever I go to the hospital to the hospital to pick condoms, they can be heard calling us names such as haram," she adds.

"People in this county are pretenders. They do not want to accept the fact that there are sex workers yet we offer our services to both Somalis and non-Somalis," she says.

The women would go to work from seven in the evening to 10pm when the clubs close shop.

Non-locals usually wear deras while the locals wear trousers, vests and a hat to avoid being recognised.

“I make Sh3,000 in a good day which I use to support my child and I as I have no other means of earning money,” Halima says.

*Muthoni, another sex worker from Murang'a county, says she has no option but to become a sex worker after her husband left her and her child.

She also operates in DRC.

"I wish we had an organisation that would advocate for our rights. It is not by choice that we got here. Its just the circumstances," Muthoni says.

Both women said that they charge Sh500 to clients for each session. If they have sex in a lodging, they charge Sh2,000 and the client is also expected to cover the room's expenses.

In some instances, they have sex with clients in tinted Probox vehicles.

County Aids and STI coordinator, Noor Ahmed says the county has 2,000 sex workers.

Most of these women operate on DRC street and a village called Mororo, which is the first stop after crossing the Tana River bridge from Garissa county.

"The demand for sex work is very high because of the Kismayo corridor. There many member of the disciplined forces who transit through town to Kismayo," Ahmed says.

For this reason, the NGO Sisters Maternity Home (Simaho) was established to grant sex workers with access to an integrated health system.

"Out of the 2,000 sex workers in the county, 500 are linked to Simaho," the coordinator says.

At least 4,023 people in Garissa are living with HIV. Out of this number 3,100 are adults and 923 are children.

"There's a need to address sex work if we are serious about reducing new HIV infections in the county," Ahmed adds.

Simaho's Anthony Njoroge says the county needs to establish a drop centre for sex workers to enable them access integrated health care services.

*Names have been changed to protect the identities of the speakers

Anyone who believes that crap is crazy I seen that video and the chicks arent Somali they hide under the hijab cause the Somali men over there maybe got some fetish or it feels close to home I dont know

And that 14 year old who ran away from home feared of being killed?

Somalis never do Honour killings thats more of an arab/Paki thing

Anyone who believes that crap is crazy I seen that video and the chicks arent Somali they hide under the hijab cause the Somali men over there maybe got some fetish or it feels close to home I dont know

And that 14 year old who ran away from home feared of being killed?

Somalis never do Honour killings thats more of an arab/Paki thing

The women were never presented as being about Somalis, they are non Somali prostitutes who dress up as Somalis in order to get Somali clients. The Kenyans who wrote the article are basically saying that Somalis sell their bodies too and dress up as Kenyan women in western clothing. It's just so sour of them. Also they really think we're Taliban in culture because our sisters wear niqab, they make up so much about us.

Dhabaal

Part time -Devils Advocate Full time- Anarchist
You should send this to Dalsoor and advise Somalis to file a slander/ liabel lawsuit against that news paper.

It is made up to frame our community in negative light and perputuate something false. Thinking it wont be subjected to scrutiny.

The Dalsoor report exposed that these Sex-workers are non-Somali who pretend to be Somali for oppurtunist economic reasons.

Even if that story weren't of Somali prostitutes, it doesn't change the fact that there are hundreds of Somali prostitutes in Eastleigh alone. I know many Somalis from Nairobi and they all told me the same thing.

@AbdiJohnson I didn't say that there aren't any Somali prostitutes. I said that it could have been a genuine article but on closer inspection seems to be a clapback at Dalsoor.

Aff somaliga so baaro. Calf is more then pussy.

*Af *Soomaaliga. Why don't you learn English, and how to be a man while you're at it? Where did I say 'p****'? I said no Somali wants you, that includes marriage (which is what I was implying fyi) because you're a lowlife with zero decorum.

BebsiBolice

Suicidal men adore me.
Overall very sad. It's always heartbreaking to hear a woman had to resort to selling herself for a living. I really wish better for those women.

Siddhartha

future pirate king
VIP
I had a funny experience in Eastleigh, as I walked past a group of somali prostitutes, one of them shouted at me waryaa come with me I'll treat you good I'm somali.

I had a funny experience in Eastleigh, as I walked past a group of somali prostitutes, one of them shouted at me waryaa come with me I'll treat you good I'm somali.

Somali women are very easy true, even my non somali friends noticed this. It's a lack of self esteem.

You will never see me on ethiopian sites saying this about your women and here you are on our sites talking shit about women. Fucking weakling. A group of Somali prostitutes in Eatsleigh? They said something that cliche which sounds like an African insult from a deprived village in Ethiopia? You are either Ethiopian or some other group with a chip on their shoulder about Somalis.

Last edited:
Why are the trolls 80% of the replies on this forum? The main posters and others like me create a topic and like flies on candy the trolls come along.

Dhabaal

Part time -Devils Advocate Full time- Anarchist
Somali women are s by nature it's not hard sell who are we kidding. They give punani with an apple from foreigners.

Uskuud waryaa!

Do you realize you insulted every female member in your family? What kind of half a brain do you work with ,you loser.

Siddhartha

future pirate king
VIP
You will never see me on ethiopian sites saying this about your women and here you are on our sites talking shit about women. Fucking weakling. A group of Somali prostitutes in Eatsleigh? They said something that cliche which sounds like an African insult from a deprived village in Ethiopia? You are either Ethiopian or some other group with a chip on their shoulder about Somalis.

I'm just speaking from my own experiences no one else's. My opinions are formed from those experiences.

VixR

Veritas
Ppl on here love to deal in extremes; in this case it's either there are no prostitutes whatsoever, or Somali women are described no self-esteem having s, both wrong, absurd, and at opposite extremes of reality, and the on the ground situation.

That there would be some prostitutes among a poor, disenfranchised refugee group isn't a wild notion. The article is at least spot on about Somalis being big pretenders, but that goes hand in hand with the concept of hiding one's sins which is something that is adhered to within the community, the oddity of that being that if enough ppl r hiding the same sin it's tantamount to ignoring entire tides and phenomena within a community.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts