farming venture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I have 400 acres of farmland with irrigation deep groundwater well in Somaliland region. I currently have cash crops growing for local markets but im looking for export so i can recieve amount in $ instead of my cousins collecting money and skimmying off the top. Do any of you have ideas and export markets. I was thinking growing frankincense trees but they wont fully mature for 8 years. or almonds since they are high profit and California is in a drought and can't sustain. If anyone here is serious and travels to Somalia we can work out a profit split. I also have place you can stay.

Admin

Community Manager
Staff Member
Administrator
Frankincense only grows specific areas and high altitude. I don't think it is a seed you can plant anywhere. 400 acres of farming land in Somaliland would make you a prominent landowner. Therefore I am not sure you are serious. Maybe you want advice on how to start? I do not know because I am not a farmer.

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
Almond trees need plenty of water and water is very scarce in most parts of the north. Forget about almonds and frankincense. Look into vegs and fruits that establish deep roots so they can suck up the moisture from deep inside the ground (tomatoes and water melons) and also plants that require minimal amount of water such as citrus trees, sweet potatoes, peppers and chillies.

Focus on the condition of the soil and water retention saxib, if you manage your farm(s) efficiently, the money will come.

I have one of the few state of the art farms in Somaliland with pipes and sprinkler system. My father's managing the farm he is a business man im trying to do my own side project. I have some Arab engineers that work there who know all about farming. Over 300k has been invested with an arab investor.the soil was tested and is very fertile also the ground water is a large aquifer which replenishes every rain season and there's a seasonal tog next to the farm. I'm not worried about water saxib i have bananas growing and mangos which will mature in a few years.

Last edited:
Hey I have 400 acres of farmland with irrigation deep groundwater well in Somaliland region. I currently have cash crops growing for local markets but im looking for export so i can recieve amount in $ instead of my cousins collecting money and skimmying off the top. Do any of you have ideas and export markets. I was thinking growing frankincense trees but they wont fully mature for 8 years. or almonds since they are high profit and California is in a drought and can't sustain. If anyone here is serious and travels to Somalia we can work out a profit split. I also have place you can stay.

Start growing medical herbs and exports them to pharmaceutical plants in China

Well it's early stage. I'm looking for potential export markets. The investor and my father are busy with there own things and aren't thinking about exporting. So I'm looking for other opportunities

Funny you said China i had a Chinese guy at the farm eating hilib adhi with us. He was interested in minerals. I'll have to talk to him about tha

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
I don't know if he's into agriculture but he's based in HK and is into import and export. If he's not interested, he could potentially hook you up with some contacts. Waryaa Larry soo gaal!

I'll have to talk to this Larry guy. hes into agriculture I'm guessing.

Howdy @illiyas

I get emails like this all the time: "I have X amount of land and don't know what to do with it".

I work mainly with growers in Jubbaland and sourced Agro from Somaliland as well.

It's seems the land is your families and inherianly yours through your father; great job on finding ways to help the fam explore new markets.

You can email me at: Puntiteport@gmail.com
Attention: Illiyas from SSpot.

My questions for you are:
What are you growing?
Your inputs: Seeds, machines, pesticides etc.
Have you tried doing the Djiboutian Shimmy? It's when you bring Somaliland exports to Djibouti and stamp them Ethiopian by registering an Ethiopian company in Addis Ababa. Ethiopia is land locked and this has been the way many people are doing it, if you get busted it's a problem.

Your biggest problem in exporting Somaliland exports is that it won't pass international markets in Europe and Asia. Somaliland farmers can trade within Africa and the Middle East, but the only thing I seen leave Somaliland and say "Made in Somaliland" is Frankincense.

In short;
A) Pick a crop and learn that crop inside out.
B) Have crop rotation.
C) Starting learning Sales, cold calling and everything that has to do with outbound sales.

I'm just sharing my journey on YouTube, but it's not an Agro School.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Yes it's my fathers land.Currently growing tomatoes and onion. By the end of the year we will start growing sesame and a few other crops. The Djibouti export is interesting that's doable we have connections in Djibouti. We have a tractor with the different pieces. I'm not in the country now I'm visiting family in Toronto. But I'll send you more info and pics when I head out there in a couple of months. Whats your channel.

Thanks for the reply. Yes it's my fathers land.Currently growing tomatoes and onion. By the end of the year we will start growing sesame and a few other crops. The Djibouti export is interesting that's doable we have connections in Djibouti. We have a tractor with the different pieces. I'm not in the country now I'm visiting family in Toronto. But I'll send you more info and pics when I head out there in a couple of months. Whats your channel.

My channel is: PuntitePort

If you need help with anything else email me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending