Diversity of camels in Arabia

I realised Arabia has the most diverse sets of camels in the world. You can tell it’s the birth place of camels because of it. From white once to pitch black once. You will find many types.

I thought that is common in Somalia ?
Nah I haven’t seen white hairy once like these. You even see black once in Arabia.

1709692676139.jpeg

So wait we have the most camel but our shit are rare like Saudis ? 🤦‍♂️
We have the most camels but they are not as diverse as Arabia. Similar to Coffee. Most Coffee in the world is sourced from Brazil but Ethiopia has the most diverse sets of beans because that’s where it originated from. It even grows wild.

Saudis have a camel culture that select for diverse camel phenotypes, where the exception to the rule is put emphasis on, i.e., taking pictures of camels with outlier appearance. Diverse-looking camels doest mean genetic diversity in that case. Much of the diversity comes from the selectivity of imports. Arabia is the source of camels, but I think having camels look different is a bad argument. You can have the oldest genetic lineage of camels look typical camel in Saudi with those different ones being much younger types. For example, north African and Somali camels are different but they are younger than their source. Them getting bred a certain way is not a good criterion. You need genetic evidence or other evidence. I think North and East Africa don't have wide genetic differences which should tell you that phenotype does not necessarily equal wider genetic differentiation.

Last edited:

Trending