Dervish conquest of Hiiraan

attash

Amaan Duule
—The darawiish conquest of Hiraan—
My favourite moments the dervishes ever took part in is the conquest of the extremely valuable and important Hiraan region in South Somalia. It is long but try and read everything as it’s a very interesting part of Somalia’s rich history.

In 1912 the dervishes recieved intelligence that the Italians were gradually expanding in South Somalia and were closing in on Hiraan, an area hithertho free of colonial presence. The Italians most foward positions were in Mahaday (just above Jowhaar)

This was alarming as this meant their southern borders was threatened. An army of 900 men were sent out commanded by Mujahid Xaaji Maxamuud Macalin, famously known as “Cagadhig” towards Doh and Ceelgaab (above mahaday) and was told to meet up with the dervish forces based there

who were commanded by the Sayid Maxameds brother Khaliif Sheekh Cabdille. When they came together they continued their mission to capture Hiraan and set up a temporary camp outside of Beledweyne in a place called Qollad
Once they were at the gates of Hiraan they sent out messages and delegations to the local inhabitants, the Powerful Xawadle, urging them to join them and defeat the colonial non muslims. The Xawadle rejected their messages and the dervish insisted on a union.
At last it became apparent the Xawadle would not join the dervish cause and war was inevitable. The war between the Xawadle and Darawiish was to begin. The Xawadle had a leader known as Nimcadde Dacaar and lead a very powerful Xawadle force known as Hormadiid

The Darawiish attacked and routed the Xawadle and Hiraan region. The Hiraan region was finally put under the Dervish banner in 1913.
Immediately after acquiring Hiraan work was made to make a fort in Beledweyne designed by a man known as Cali Jalax. The Darawiish hero mentioned earlier, Macalin Cagadhig of the powerful qayaad (Abdi Garaad) sub clan was named leader of the Hiraan section of the dervish state.
The Dervish controlling Hiraan was major news and worrying to the Italians and reinforced their positions in Mahaday in case a southern advance by the Darawiish ever occured. They also made new bases in Tiyeeglow and Buqcabaqle to inforce their dominions.
They Italians also made emergabcy talks with the leader of the Majeerteen owned Hobyo sultinate, Suldaan Cali Yusuf. Both the Hobyo sultanate and the Italians came into an agreement that they should unite if they want to stand a chance against the powerful dervish hordes.
They also got the once powerful Ajuran clan and its leader Boqor Olol Dinle to help in defeating the Dervish. The 3 powers of the Ajuran, the Hobyo, and the Italians came together just to defeat the Pro Somali anti colonial Dervish empire.
On March 3 1915 the 3 powerful armies marched from 6 positions into Beledweyne. The Italians marched from:
-Buuloburde
-Buqcaqable
-Tiyeeglow
The Hobyo sultanate army marched from:
-Mudug
-Ceelbur
The Ajuran army marched from:
-Qallafo
The dervish were facing a siege from all directions that lasted 3.5 days. Under heavy artillery bombardments and fierce gun fight the Beledweyne forts did not suffer any major destruction due to Cali Jalax’s great engineering skills.

Isma’il Mire took part in the defence of the forts and forever immortalised the battle of Geeraar in his poem:

War ninkii iga dooniyow
Anoo Doollo u jeeda
Deleb heensaha saaroo
Gooruu waagu dillaacay
Daraawiish ballamayna
Adduun saad ka damcaysiyo
Damdambaysi ma yeeshee
Waa dawaara sideede
Durba weerar na taabay
Maajoor doora qudhmuuniyo
Doofaartii Raxanweyniyo
Majeerteen dunjigiis
Daacufleey askareediyo

Ina Diinle dhashiisa
Dulmi noogu heshiiyoo
Duulba maalin na beegay
Beryey Deex Ololaysay
Dundunku u rognaayoo
Candhadii dubayowdoo
Daaqsin ayan u foofinoo
Rasaastii dam lahayd
Dagaal baan kula roorayoo
Baqihii ay dillaameen
Dabkii aanu ka reebnay
Derbibaan ku masaalloo
Daarahaanu rasaynayoo
Daayimow mahadaa bay
Daraawiishi lahaydeeeeey

Translation

Those of you who want news

As I was headed back to Doollo
Having saddled my horse
At the break of the dawn
Conferring with my Daraawiish
But my best laid plans
Upset by life's changing fortunes
We were suddenly attacked
The filthy Italian Major
And the Porcine Raxanweyn
And a kind of Majeerteen
And the weak Askaris
And the followers of Ina Diinle
United in wickedness and treachery
Each attacked us in turn
Many days passed, before
the penned camels grazed
confined by the din of battle
We rushed at them with courage
And they ran in headlong flight
The arms they left behind
Were as high as a wall
We filled our forts with them
O Eternal one, God
It is you we thank
For this great victory

The darawiish defeated all 3 powerful armies and expanded into South Somalia, the Italians back peddled and left their bases for the taking cancelling their plans to move into the upper shabelle valleys.
The dervishes strengthened their foothold on south Somalia by building two new forts: Aammiin and Laba Mataanood.
They sent powerful raiding armies into Tiyeeglow and Baydhabo against the Italians and their supporters. They also harried the enemy as far south as Aw Dheegle and Ceel Garas.
Ever since the massive victory over the Italians and 2 Somali armies the Italians never attacked again leaving the darawiish to rule over the south freely. However they were on the defensive as the dervishes would routinely attack the Italians and their vassal states (Hobyo)
Map of the Darawiish empire after conquering Mudug and Hiraan.

Sources: Conquest of Beledweyne by the dervish= The Islamic movement of Somalia page 59 Leader of Hiraan= Same book page 59 4th and 5th screenshots from: Taariikhdii daraawiishta iyo Sayid Maxamad Cabdille Xasan, 1895-1920 By Jamac Cumar Cisse

attash

Amaan Duule
Do you how southern RX and Hawiye factored into the dervishes
There were some Hawiye who were amongst the daraawiish and were members of the the Xarun (Dervish government) such as Xaaji Farxad, Xaaji Axmad, and Xaaji Axmad al Fiqi. I do not know of any Raxanweyn who were daraawiish, but the daraawiish did conduct military operations in Raxanweyn territory.

The Biimaal of Marka were also allies of the daraawiish and their leaders were in correspondence with the Sayyid.

There were some Hawiye who were amongst the daraawiish and were members of the the Xarun (Dervish government) such as Xaaji Farxad, Xaaji Axmad, and Xaaji Axmad al Fiqi. I do not know of any Raxanweyn who were daraawiish, but the daraawiish did conduct military operations in Raxanweyn territory.

The Biimaal of Marka were also allies of the daraawiish and their leaders were in correspondence with the Sayyid.
Subclan?

attash

Amaan Duule
Xaaji Axmad al Fiqi was a well known scholar who was Jijeele Gugundhabe. I don't know where he was born but I know he studied in Xamar when he was young and later Makka and Madiina (where he met the Sayyid).

As for the other two, I don't have any information on their subclans or exact origins.

mohammdov

Hansare Iyo baarsare
Darawiishtu waxa ay ahaayeen uun qabiilo isku qarinaya magaca diinta Illahay ha naclado inta qof ee ay dileen Ee dumar iyo carruur iyo culumo

my aabo said my great grandmother cursed the darwiish and didnt explain why, now i know. he loves the darwiish tho prob bc of siad barres school curriculum

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP

what is xaaji ahmed third name?

The somali elders in question here are D&M (rahawayn), they did have some relations.
Screenshot_20240229-002030_Chrome.jpg

Trending