Database of Somali names boys & girls

It's actually not. It comes from 'Jamasho'. When ppl go after something or someone they like and want they engage in 'jamasho'. So Jamaad means a girl who is well sought after oo la jantay.

That's interesting. I didn't associate it with the word 'jamasho.' Lovely meaning though.

What about Asli? Is it authentic?

My favorite

Boys

Warsame
Sharmarke
Mahad
Hayaan
Ayanleh
Caydiid
Cilmi

Girls

Hinda
Hamda

Thread got me thinking into changing my lame Arabic name. Somalis have abused Abdi's, Ali's and Mahamed.

Apollo

VIP
Going to force my siblings to not pick Arabic names. So far already persuaded some and saved two souls from having shitty Arabic names.

#SayNoToArabicNames

Also, my Abtiris is native Somali for the past 3 generations. Don't want to C-C-C-Combo break it.

DeathWish

Hotep and Hebrew Israelite
Hidan? Sounds nice, but feminine. Are you sure it's a Somali dude's name?:cosbyhmm:
Hidan is not feminine!!!

latest

I like the female name of 'Ardo' iyo 'Cambara' the most. Somalis should stick to traditional and Islamic names (Prophets, Sahaba and the righteous women of Islam mentioned in quran and the family of our beloved prophet).

Gambar

VIP
I like the female name of 'Ardo' iyo 'Cambara' the most. Somalis should stick to traditional and Islamic names (Prophets, Sahaba and the righteous women of Islam mentioned in quran and the family of our beloved prophet).
Isn't Ardo the Somalized version of Ard which in Arabic means land or earth?

It's like Fartun aka Fortuna or Fortune. I think keeping traditional Somali names is key. We are Muslims of course, but we are also Somalis and keeping the culture alive is important.

Trending

Latest posts