Britain & Italy saved us from being colonized by Ethiopia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
I've heard this line of argument before, but you have to understand the advantage the Ethiopians had was because of firearms.

The Europeans placed an arms embargo on Somali clans but allowed the Ethiopians to import guns which swung the balance of power. Somalis had to smuggle and often steal arms to keep afloat.

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
I've heard this line of argument before, but you have to understand the advantage the Ethiopians had was because of firearms.

The Europeans placed an arms embargo on Somali clans but allowed the Ethiopians to import guns which swung the balance of power. Somalis had to smuggle and often steal arms to keep afloat.
Well didn't the Sayyid buy guns from the Ottomans?

Suppose Britain & Italy came to Somalia 30 years later than they did, would Ethiopia be ruling large parts of koonfur?

You're right. The loss of Harar to Menelik's forces sent shockwaves throughout the region. Somali tribes signed treaties afterwards with the French and British to maintain their autonomy.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Well didn't the Sayyid buy guns from the Ottomans?

Suppose Britain & Italy came to Somalia 30 years later than they did, would Ethiopia be ruling large parts of koonfur?

Forget koonfur, the Brits literally gave away the entire Ogaden and Hawd to the Ethiopians. I do not think they would have been able to control a pastoral society beyond a few urban centers.

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
Forget koonfur, the Brits literally gave away the entire Ogaden and Hawd to the Ethiopians. I do not think they would have been able to control a pastoral society beyond a few urban centers.
Even we struggle to control a pastoral society, let alone foreigners. I do think though that they would have taken Jubbaland and the cities since that had strategic value if the colonials didn't. They used to inflict heavy blows on the Geeljires and took a lot of their livestock.

Last edited:

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Look up the Brussels General Act of 1890 that exempted Ethiopia, as a Christian nation, from the arms embargo placed on the rest of Africa.

This single handedly shifted the balance of power and led to Abysinnia's rapid conquests, while Somalis had to smuggle guns in to defend themselves.

Thoughts?

I believe the title to be true.
how? Ethiopia didn't even fully control the ogaden until the british gave it to them? Forget about mainland somalia. In fact, if it wasn't for the british(who gave the ogaden to the Ethiopians in 1954), we would either be fully in control of it or it would still be disputed.
You are being too generous with them. I don't understand how they could have so many advantages in numbers and weapons but needed England to give them somali lands. FOH

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
Look up the Brussels General Act of 1890 that exempted Ethiopia, as a Christian nation, from the arms embargo placed on the rest of Africa.

This single handedly shifted the balance of power and led to Abysinnia's rapid conquests, while Somalis had to smuggle guns in to defend themselves.
Is it really because they were a Christian nation or was it because they had a centralized country? The Sultanate of Zanzibar, who were a small Omani kingdom, was also one of the parties of the agreement.

Don't ever let these motherfuckers try to justify their evil imperialism.
kkkk it's just alternative history sxb dont take it too serious.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Literally every source mentions how within a year of Ethiopia becoming a signatory of the Brussels Act, they embarked on a campaign to encroach on Somali territory. Literally within a year or two :icon lol:

Which then caused the clans to sign treaties of protection, and Somaliland being partioned by France, Britian, Italy, and Abysinnia.

Which then led to permanently losing the Ogaden and NFD when Britian decided to screw us.

Which pretty much led to the civil war.

Which leads to me typing this shit out in Ohio instead of Somalia :icon lol:

Literally every source mentions how within a year of Ethiopia becoming a signatory of the Brussels Act, they embarked on a campaign to encroach on Somali territory. Literally within a year or two :icon lol:

Which then caused the clans to sign treaties of protection, and Somaliland being partioned by France, Britian, Italy, and Abysinnia.

Which then led to permanently losing the Ogaden and NFD when Britian decided to screw us.

Which pretty much led to the civil war.

Which leads to me typing this shit out in Ohio instead of Somalia :icon lol:
Maybe if we were colonized by only one country it would have been easier to unite our people. :cosbyhmm:

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Is it really because they were a Christian nation or was it because they had a centralized country? The Sultanate of Zanzibar, who were a small Omani kingdom, was also one of the parties of the agreement.

kkkk it's just alternative history sxb dont take it too serious.

With the help of their Christian status among Christian Europeans, and admission into the Brussels General Act, Ethiopia was able to import unlimited quantities of...

Screenshot_2017-02-25-22-25-28.png

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Maybe if we were colonized by only one country it would have been easier to unite our people. :cosbyhmm:

Perhaps.

Our only issue was Britain's late game decision to totally f*ck us over and leave a nasty legacy to keep us mired in war, something they love to do apparently e.g. Kashmir, Kurdistan, Palestine, Somali Galbeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts