Biggest reasons you believe or disbelieve in religion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I'm not Slavic, but you're right I'm from that part of the world.

Are you going to be elaborating on those things I've mentioned?

I stepped away to do something and will return to address your challenges where I can. It won't be that difficult. It will be a little while and you will see the update when I do reply Inshallah.

I was about to do something now when I checked for a reply and didn't want to ignore your question since you may be around waiting. Later.

This needs backing up.
Explain where you were going with this (i.e. the implication you meant to draw).
I could have stated the negative of this statement but it's merely a claim. This needs backing.
That there's no higher meaning to life might be depressing to think about and true at the same time. Also, the conclusion that 'there has to be a grander and more important purpose to life' doesn't follow from it.

I will address the first comment I made about contemporary physics pointing to a designer/creator.

• The explosion of matter from a state of very high density and temperature, and the expansion of space-time from a singularity, marking the origin of the universe. This is the beginning and birth of our universe. It didn't set itself off leading to all other things important for life.

• Is it luck or careful planning? Our solar system has properties without which sophisticated life would be impossible. If we found ourselves in Binary orbits where you have two or more stars earth orbits, there would be huge temperature swings that would make uniform heat temperature for life not available. Planned or By Luck, it is a matter of perspective right?

• The Eccentric quality of Earth’s orbit. Eccentricity means a measure of how near an ellipse is to a circle. Earth has eccentricity of 2 in its orbit. Planets that have more than earth’s eccentricity have huge temperature swings such as Mars etc.

• Mars has large orbital eccentricity - 22% – and that is why it has 200 degree Fahrenheit warmer at the planet’s closest approach to the sun. It has the opposite effect as Mars moves away from the Sun. All due to the high Orbital eccentricity.

• If earth had one percent eccentricity, Oceans would boil as earth gets to its closest to the Sun in its orbit. And we would freeze over when we are at our furthest point from the sun in Orbit. So earth's orbit has to be that perfect for it to host life.

• Mass to distance relationship. The mass of the sun to the distance of the earth determines the amount of heat/energy our sun gives off. If the mass of Our sun was 20% less or more, they said we would be colder than Mars and hotter than Venus. So, the size of our sun in relation to our distance from it perfectly provides the necessary heat for life.

• Habitable zones are defined as zones close to a star like the sun where temperature is such that liquid water can exist. And availability of water gives rise to an intelligent life or life forms. For this fact, this smacks of a plan and design. It is so bankrupt to say this just happened without intelligent force behind the set-up.

• Newton said that our strangely habitable solar system did not “arise out of chaos by mere laws of nature but was created by God at first and conserved by him to this day”.

• The elements we are made of had to be cooked inside the furnaces we look up at night and we call stars. Some of these had to explode to disperse those elements in specific way to allow uniform spread of these elements throughout the universe. Carbon was cooked that way essential to life, Oxygen and Nitrogen the same way. Carbon has unique properties without which life would be a nonstarter.

I can list thousands of reasons observed in our universe to allow Earth to host life. Without plan and design, without setting up the physical constants of the universe, from how an atom stays afloat to a star being born or dying, the seemingly calculated method to all, life would be impossible. We are from and of a star dust and there was planning that went into all of these outcomes from a mere explosion. To look at these facts about our universe and conclude it happened out of nowhere without an intelligent design is bankruptcy. For these and other gazillion facts observable in our universe and world, I believe in a creator.

Last edited:

TheLibertarianQuiche

Quintessentially negroid: Your problem?
Mainly because the Quran contains many errors, but i also don't care much for the "morality" in the religion. Hitting your wife, sex with slave girls (aka rape) and killing apostates are all things that are sanctioned by Allah. I personally cannot believe that.

Most of those are either untrue or exaggerated.

TheLibertarianQuiche

Quintessentially negroid: Your problem?
I find religion to be limiting, both in the things that it prohibits and in the ideas it doesn't allow you to explore, being a person who asks a lot of question naturally I am not ok with this. I don't see an issue with having a personal relationship with God but organised religion is undoubtedly bullshit to its core.

Then join the light of non-denominational Islam bradar.

I will address the first comment I made about contemporary physics pointing to a designer/creator.

• The explosion of matter from a state of very high density and temperature, and the expansion of space-time from a singularity, marking the origin of the universe. This is the beginning and birth of our universe. It didn't set itself off leading to all other things important for life.

• Is it luck or careful planning? Our solar system has properties without which sophisticated life would be impossible. If we found ourselves in Binary orbits where you have two or more stars earth orbits, there would be huge temperature swings that would make uniform heat temperature for life not available. Planned or By Luck, it is a matter of perspective right?

• The Eccentric quality of Earth’s orbit. Eccentricity means a measure of how near an ellipse is to a circle. Earth has eccentricity of 2 in its orbit. Planets that have more than earth’s eccentricity have huge temperature swings such as Mars etc.

• Mars has large orbital eccentricity - 22% – and that is why it has 200 degree Fahrenheit warmer at the planet’s closest approach to the sun. It has the opposite effect as Mars moves away from the Sun. All due to the high Orbital eccentricity.

• If earth had one percent eccentricity, Oceans would boil as earth gets to its closest to the Sun in its orbit. And we would freeze over when we are at our furthest point from the sun in Orbit. So earth's orbit has to be that perfect for it to host life.

• Mass to distance relationship. The mass of the sun to the distance of the earth determines the amount of heat/energy our sun gives off. If the mass of Our sun was 20% less or more, they said we would be colder than Mars and hotter than Venus. So, the size of our sun in relation to our distance from it perfectly provides the necessary heat for life.

• Habitable zones are defined as zones close to a star like the sun where temperature is such that liquid water can exist. And availability of water gives rise to an intelligent life or life forms. For this fact, this smacks of a plan and design. It is so bankrupt to say this just happened without intelligent force behind the set-up.

• Newton said that our strangely habitable solar system did not “arise out of chaos by mere laws of nature but was created by God at first and conserved by him to this day”.

• The elements we are made of had to be cooked inside the furnaces we look up at night and we call stars. Some of these had to explode to disperse those elements in specific way to allow uniform spread of these elements throughout the universe. Carbon was cooked that way essential to life, Oxygen and Nitrogen the same way. Carbon has unique properties without which life would be a nonstarter.

I can list thousands of reasons observed in our universe to allow Earth to host life. Without plan and design, without setting up the physical constants of the universe, from how an atom stays afloat to a star being born or dying, the seemingly calculated method to all, life would be impossible. We are from and of a star dust and there was planning that went into all of these outcomes from a mere explosion. To look at these facts about our universe and conclude it happened out of nowhere without an intelligent design is bankruptcy. For these and other gazillion facts observable in our universe and world, I believe in a creator.
All of that ignores that the universe is almost completely inhospitable to life!

For the first bullet point, yes, the universe contains things important to life - obviously life is part of the universe. This is an issue of seeing especial significance in the sum for a single part. Also, the rest of your post doesn't sit well with what you have said afterwards. After this paragraph, you laid out reasons why life is rare in the universe. So obviously the significance you placed on the 'part' is wrong.

The rest of the bullet points involve life on Earth, and all show a naive view of how probability works in that it estimates the probability of life after the event, i.e. in hindsight. Perform a little thought experiment to see that the probability of any event occurring estimated in hindsight is going to be extremely small. You will have finished reading this sentence with the time reading xx:yy:zz where you are. Now go back to just four months ago. What were chances that you will have been reading this at this specific time in four months? There are two many variables leading to this - things that you can't account for if you had tried to, some of them extremely subtle, including events in my own life.

Likewise, you're looking life on earth (which has ridiculously bigger variables obviously) from the same perspective, which is flawed! This is ignoring the factual issues with the statements (like that planets could have many of the issues that would make life not possible on earth like you pointed out, like certain orbital eccentricity, but still support life; or the fact that binary star systems can be habitable, contrary to what one of your bullet points solely says).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts